What do you tell people???

May 26, 2007
Hi All,
I love to test my water and make sure its within the suggested limits. I added borates and couldn't be happier. My question is this though. I try and tell people that they should buy a test kit and test the water themselves rather than relying on some kid at a pool store. The usual response I get is "Why bother? I add a jug of this and a jug of that every week and my water is crystal clear." What they fail to realize is that their water, while clear, certainly isn't balanced.

What arguments do you put forth when trying to convert people? These are people you care about and not strangers.

The last guy that gave me that statement also gave me a sample of his water. The results were as follows,

FC: 0ppm
pH: 8.2
TA: 150
CYA: 0ppm

How is the haphazard practice of adding a little of this and a little of that working out :shock: ?

cruz-
This is the natural progression of those of us who really have control of our pools.

Many many many folks just don't want to get it. I would venture that if I tested 100 pools in my area, based on what I know the standard recipe is from pool places around here, that MAYBE 5 of them would be properly balance. Maybe. Some may look fine, but not be fine. Some may even look horrid.

All you can do is do what YOU need to do for your pool. When people ask, share with them. You can lead a horse to water....

It's really bad here in Southern Indiana. Most people I know don't even take their water in to be tested. They just dump stuff from Walmart in or maybe even use bleach but so much that their lines are ruined very quickly. Then when you try to let them know that the bleach wasn't the problem but the amount of bleach they won't listen. I'm very choosy now about who I talk pools with.

Sooner or later, they usually have a problem arise. All the while, they will have taken notice that you never seem to have any problems. Because of this, they will come to you at some point. That's when you level with them. They will either accept it or they won't. I wouldn't worry either way.

poolgirl22 said:
I can tell you that everyone I've shown the Liquidator to this weekend feigns interest and says
'oh, that's nice, uh, good job?'

I give up. :mrgreen:

Then they go home and Google "Liquidator" to see what it is really all about :lol:

It is funny sometimes to watch people see new things that they do not understand and try to make you think they get it. They will buy into something that is so complicated that no one understands it, but show them something simple (and that works!) and they think it must be a scam. "She pours bleach in a bucket and thinks it will keep her pool clean; that girl is crazy" :-D

Some people will never learn...... Let 'em suffer, I say :cool: :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I always take the $ route in the conversations, if they come up. Everyone understands that. Something like "Isn't it funny how XX is the exact same chemical and does exactly the same thing as XX at the pool store/Walmart, etc but probably costs less than 1/3 of the other stuff??? Wow what a savings!"

If that doesnt get them asking questions then they deserve the green pool and empty wallet.

I love reading and spending time in websites like this one or on others like making wine or other sometimes complicated subjects.What i've learned to do is not to try to educate people about the subjects that i'm interested in because they just get board it's not thier passion it's mine.

If they ask and want to learn then i help them with pleasure!!!

I let them talk to me about what they like and i just try to learn from them.I like knowing what i know because it makes my life better.Thats it!!

Knowledge on any suject usually ends up saving you alot of money.If there not interested in learning let them pay like everybody else.

I've found the best thing you can do is invite them to your home for a pool party and let them see and feel your water for themselves. We had friends from down the street over and they asked about my SWG. I told them its great, but you still need to test the water often and adjust the pH with acid and the TA with baking soda. The husband said, Oh we don't do any of that. We use the "if its green, add chlorine" method and our water is clear and perfect. And the wife who is in our pool says, "But ours is not this clear and does not feel this nice." But the husband still thinks its the SWG that is doing the "magic" of making our pool perfect.

If it's someone I don't like and would rather they didn't invite themselves over for a swim, I just tell them "I don't think you want to come over now, I'm disinfecting the pool, and I just put in a half gallon of bleach!"
:shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.