Swimming in green water ugh !!!!!!!HELP!!!

May 29, 2010
Well due to my neglect over the last 7-10 days my pool has become green. Here are the parms.
ph 7.2
alk 80-100
chlorine 1.0
stabalizer 0

These really means little to me a am a complete newb

I put about 750 to 1 litre of algaecide in last night. vacumed the bottom. it does look better but still needs a bit of work.
Should i add anything or just let it be and see.

I ran a 15x 4 pool last year with no problems only added the pucks when needed. The problem this year is i dont have a cover or solar blanket to cover it up when not in use. I am purchasing a solar this week. The pump is for the pool 1500 gph which i suspect is too small?
probally wont get to many responses today as most are probally out enjoying there pools the dont neglect lol :(

Figure your gallons capacity in pool calculator. Go to walmart and buy stabilizer/conditioner which is CYA. Add enough to get to 30-50 range--into the skimmer. Buy BLEACH i.e. Clorox.---LOTS! Bring pool to shock level off the cya/chlorine chart in pool school---pour slowly in front of return. Keep it there overnite and keep the pump runing. Check in again here tomorrow with numbers. You may swim tomorrow if nothing is growing if you're lucky. Happy 4th! Get bleach in it-------NOW! You left yet???????...........!!!

woody beat me...oh well!

Welcome and happy independence day!

You need chlorine.
You need CYA/Stabilizer.
You'll need to shock the pool. Shocking is a process not a product...read pool school.

Read pool school today and check out the poolcalculator.
You'll need a good test kit like the TFT100.

Add your specs of your pool to your signature line via the control panel.

Walmart is likely open so go grab a bunch of bleach. See if they have stabilizer/conditioner. The amount you need to get to 40 will depend on how many gallons in your pool. Use the pool calculator to figure out how much to buy. Set up the values from this site to give you a goal range.

Someone is always around...we'll help you get things straitened out.
:mrgreen:

joeyt66 said:
Thanks for the replies. Im sure i have some stabalizer here. How much bleach do i need 2 litres?Just staright bleach Like for clothes?

The amount of both stabilizer to add and bleach needed will be determined by poolcalculator and depends on the gallons in your pool. With no CYA right now your shock level is 10 according to pool school CYA chart. Once you add stabilizer to get to 40, the next day your shock can be 16. The sun will eat chlorine fast until you get some stablizer in there.

Be sure you read pool school. Many basic questions can be answered there.

Where are you located? (nevermind I see your signature now.) can someone interject on where to get a test kit that's helpful for this new member in canada? Not sure if can get the ones we always recommend...

And yes, just regular plain old ultra bleach. No scented or splash free.

reading pool school thx
i dont have stabalizer i need to purchase some
i also have a couple sacks/bags of "sock it " will this work in place of bleach. My wife doesnt want to put bleach in. She thinks its some concoction i made up lol
Sock it says it a shock treatment or super chlorination

Have your wife read the stuff in pool school.

The bags are fine for a time, but they either add calcium or more stabilizer than you need. Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine.

I swear to you that if you use the TFP methods, your wife will be loving the pool more than ever and you will be the hero.

poolgirl22 said:
Have your wife read the stuff in pool school.

The bags are fine for a time, but they either add calcium or more stabilizer than you need. Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine.

I swear to you that if you use the TFP methods, your wife will be loving the pool more than ever and you will be the hero.
hmmmm hero you say ......................................."off to walmart for some bleach"

Oh i have this stuff called sunsheild made by guardex. Is this stabalizer
from their directions
"Sunshield� prevents chlorine loss resulting from sun, while leaving no residue. A 100% cyanuric acid stabilizer."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey, Joey. Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but "how much beach?" will soon become your next issue. One of the tenents taught here is accurate testing and dosing.

Your first dose of bleach and subsequent doses (there will be many if you do this right) will depend on your ability to test the water and determine how much bleach to put in.....among other things.

You will need stabilizer....roughly 30ppm and I would put that in right away. Now comes the beach....enough to get your pool up to around 12-15ppm.

That will be consumed in your pool very quickly and you will then need to replenish that bleach back up to 15ppm.

Lots of folks here to help you get this all correct but I want you to know that your pool will not clean up overnight. Shocking and clearing a pool is a process that may (probably) will take you several days.

PS - I would suggest at least 15-20 large jugs of bleach....it'll never be wasted.

PPS - A 100% cyanuric acid stabilizer." Yep! CYA, Cyanuric acid and stabilizer are all the same thing. If you have enough to get your pool to 30 or so, you're good to go.

Look on the bags of shock and see what the ingredients are. If it lists cyuranic acid, CYA, stabilizer, or conditioner, as an ingredient, then track how many bags of it you use. This will raise your CYA level some, but you do not want to use it as your regular source of chlorine, as the CYA can rise too high very quickly.

Take your wife to a pool store and show her the liquid chlorine label and then take her to the store and show her the label on a bottle of bleach. The active ingredient in both is sodium hypochlorite. Liquid chlorine usually at 10 to 12%. Bleach is usually 6%. If anything the bleach is safer to work with because it is a lower concentration of sodium hypochlorite!

Powdered chlorine has to have something else added to it keep it in a solid form. So granular or pucks of chlorine will contain either CYA, calcium, or lithium. CYA will build up and over stabilize the pool, causing a need for higher and higher amounts of chlorine to kill organics in the water and keep the pool safe. Calcium will also build up in the water and at high levels puts you at risk of developing scale. The risk for a vinyl lined pool to develop scale is significantly less but can still happen. Both CYA and calcium can only be removed by draining and refilling the pool or by a professional reverse osmosis treatment. The reverse osmosis treatment is not widely available and you may not be able to find a service provider in your area. Lithium hypochlorite does not cause an excess of anything harmful in your pool but is much more expensive than any other form of chlorine, and not as easy to find.

thanks again for the replies you guys are awsome!!!!!
so i figure my pool is about 29,000 litres (stupid metric everything is n litrers for treament) on the stabalizer it says 100g for 10,000l to bring it too 10 ppm. so if i add 300g that brings my pool to to ten ppm how much for 30ppm?
double or more?

joeyt66 said:
thanks again for the replies you guys are awsome!!!!!
so i figure my pool is about 29,000 litres (stupid metric everything is n litrers for treament) on the stabalizer it says 100g for 10,000l to bring it too 10 ppm. so if i add 300g that brings my pool to to ten ppm how much for 30ppm?
double or more?
http://www.poolcalculator.com/ can do the math for you. On top, in the brown bar, you can choose metric units. Then plug in the rest.

ok so im going now to add the stabalizer How long before i can test it to see what im at. How long after do i add the bleach. I only picked up 2 at the store. It was expensive at the store. I live north of our big city (ie walmart) i will get more tomorrow. Will 2 be ok to add tonight or should i wait till i can add more. I have been reading the pool school (and will continue ) but its all overwhelming when i have no idea what is going on . But it is kinda fun learning about the water chemistry. I have a 220g saltwater aquarium then needs similar water chem. But on the same hand is way different. If that makes sense

Put it in a regular cotton sock and secure it in front of the return jet. It will slowly dissolve into the water. Massaging it with your hands occasionally will speed it up a little. Can test for it one week after adding it -- so under-shoot rather than over-shoot your target. You can always add more but cannot get rid of it without draining water.

joeyt66 said:
ok hoping for a quick response... The stabalizer is granular. do i put it right in the pool or dilute in water first.
You've got a couple of options. I've seen suggested to dilute in a bucket first and then pour in. Problem is not all of it dissolves, then some settles on the bottom, and that's not good as it is an 'acid'. So you could poor that mixture, or just put the granular in to the return, and then don't backwash for a week. I didn't like that idea either, as didn't want any of it getting stuck somewhere and affecting the pump. Most popular method suggested is to stick it in a sock and hang it in front of a return.

I'd like to build on that last one to say I recommend a pair of pantyhose, cut the legs off, double it up, stick the stabilizer in there and hang it in front of the return. Then you can 'massage' it and help to break it up faster and get it in the water. I tried massaging it in a sock, and the sock let pieces through. Doubled up pantyhose solved that problem, but then I guess that only comes in to play if you want to massage it to get it in the water faster :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.