Fitting a new Saltwater Chlorinator - any tips?

Aug 13, 2007
Cyprus, Europe
Hello,

I have recently purchased a Monarch Aquachlor 260 for my pool. I intend to fit it myself, but the enclosed instructions do not give any guidance on fitting other than a drawing which shows that it should be fitted between the filter and the return lines to the pool, to keep it horizontal and make sure the flow is going the right way, which all seems obvious anyway. I just thought I'd submit a post asking for any guidance/experience that anyone may have, or any mistakes to avoid.

I have experience plumbing a house, but the pool fittings are very different - any types of fittings/adhesive etc I should go for/avoid? The existing pipes are PVC-U 63mm OD & 50mm OD and the Aquachlor has 70mm OD pipes made of a transparent plastic - I assume the adhesive will stick to this okay....

Well, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

It should all be fairly straight forward. You want Schedule 40 pipe, glue and fittings, at least that is what it is called in the US. Standard waste/drain pipe and fittings are not designed for pressure, so use the next grade up (rated for more than 100+ PSI). The PVC cement is called medium strength around here, listed for use on schedule 40 pipe up to 6", and will be fine on the SWG cell.

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forums :)

For the pipes, you need to measure not OD but ID on the cell. The pipes glue inside it, not over the top. I'm not familiar with Aquachlor, but it will be either 50mm pipe or 40mm pipe. One problem you might face though (depending on who supplied your chlorinator) that the piping will not fit. There are 2 different standards for piping, american and european. In Australia (where Aquachlor is manufactured) we use american piping. So unless your chlorinator is an export model, it will be with american piping. On Cyprus you guys use european piping. So you might have problems gluing it all together. Take your cell to the pipe shop, and see if they have suitable pipe. What you are after is PVC pressure pipe (SCH40), and a usual PVC glue.

Cheers,
Taras

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.