leak in return fitting

gale

Jul 14, 2009
north central Indiana
We got our pool full enough today and turned on the pump. There is a drip in the fitting (the eyeball?) on the outside. My husband tightened it all the way to the flange but it still drips-he's afraid he'll ruin it if he tightens it any more. It has teflon tape on it-the guy that filled the pool (he installs but did not install ours) put the teflon tape on it and installed it into the pool side so it should be on correctly. If we have to take it off how do we plug the eyeball? Any tips for getting it to stop leaking? Could it be too much teflon tape? thanks.

Does it only drip with the pump on? If so then it most likely is dripping from the threads. You might be able to loosen the backing nut (big nut on pool wall) and tighten it a little. If you can't do that then you can plug the eyeball with a foam ball or winterizing plug and cut the pipe and rework it. It's most likely not too much t-tape but more likely not enough or not applied correctly.

Ok thanks. I'll have to get a plug because it didn't come with one. A few minutes ago water started shooting out the top of the filter canister. He tightened it a couple of times without any luck. Then we did a backwash and rinse and let it prime again and it seems ok for now. We had to take the flapper off the skimmer because it kept shutting but I don't know if it was doing that before the water shot out or not. What would cause that? It was coming out from where the filter thing at the top (with the pressure gauge and all that) met the canister and it was all of a sudden-so I don't think it was a tightness or gasket issue.

He was reluctant to get a big pool (we had easy set and frame set ones before this) and this is not helping my cause any!

You'll get this straightened out and if you follow our advice things will be great.

Can you take a few pics of the equipment and post them on photobucket, etc. and link to them here?

That way we can see exactly what the problem is.

Rangeball said:
If you end up taking the eyeball fitting off I recommend pipe thread compound versus tape. Works better, especially with larger diameter pool fittings.
ok thanks. I know that at the very least, we'll replace the fitting (the part where the hose connects) when we lower the water for winter. It's just a really slow drip now, at least.

Gale, welcome to TFP!!

I suspect an issue with the gaskets that seal the return line, one may be pinched or missing :( I suspect you're loosing water down the outside of the pool, any chance of a ~ close-up of the return fitting on the outside?

Once you get this taken care of, DH will have nothing bad to say about getting the larger pool :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.