Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is next after adding Borate?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is next after adding Borate?

Adding Borates for the first time and have some questions. Here is a brief recount of my actions:

1. I have finished adding the 20 Mule Team Borax and muriatic acid according to the procedures waterbear provided in April 2008.

2. Right now I am in step 8 of his procedures where I let the pump run continuously for 24 - 48 hours.

3. My daily consumption has been 182 oz. of bleach. Should I continue adding the 182 oz. bleach till a minimum of 48 hours have elapsed? Or should I test for FC the next 2 days and add the necessary quantity? All other test parameters are in allowable ranges.
    In-ground concrete/vinyl 21000 g, sand filter, Pentair 1 HP and 50 gpm. Pentair Legend in-pool cleaner, Nature 2 system (cartridge removed).

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: What is next after adding Borate?

You should continue testing and adding chlorine just as you normally would. You might see a reduction in your chlorine usage, or you might not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School