Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Chlorine Demand -- Peeing in the Pool

Unusual Chlorine Demand -- Peeing in the Pool

I wasn't sure what category to put this under, so I'm putting it here under Chemistry.

I noticed that this summer my pool is using more chlorine than in the past -- closer to 1.0 ppm FC per day instead of only 0.5 - 0.7 ppm FC per day in years past. I have an opaque electric pool safety cover so the pool only gets exposed to the sun's UV rays when in use which accounts for the normally low chlorine usage. I keep around 3-6 ppm FC at 25-30 ppm CYA [EDIT] now 40 ppm CYA [END-EDIT] only adding chlorine twice a week (hence the wide FC range).

This past week, there was even more usage of around 1.3 ppm FC per day so I asked my wife about it and she said that she had a friend over with her young daughter so I figured the extra bather load plus possible peeing from the young child might be a reason. My wife has also been using the pool more frequently than in the past -- almost every day for 45 minutes to an hour-and-a-half for physical therapy (exercises) so that also accounts for some higher chlorine demand. When I told her about my thoughts about the young child peeing in the pool, she disclosed that she too would sometimes pee in the pool if the set was long (1-1/2 hours) and she really had to go.

Well at least I now know why there's more chlorine demand, though I'm not sure how close I'll be swimming near my wife on the weekends. So that's one more item to add to the list of possible explanations for unusually high chlorine demand: hot weather, strong sunlight, low FC level relative to CYA so impending algae bloom, high bather load, and wife peeing in the pool. At least pee (urine) is "relatively" sanitary compared to, well, you know!

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

*wipes aspirated tea from monitor*

Well, at least she is honest! I guess I can sympathize; have you ever tried to wriggle out of a woman's wet bathing suit? And then getting back into the darn thing?? Yoga masters would find it tough. I won't complain about my kids peeing in the grass next to the pool anymore!

Take care!
    Froggybabies
    24000 gal inground vinyl
    Sand filter

Quote Originally Posted by froggybabies

Well, at least she is honest! I guess I can sympathize; have you ever tried to wriggle out of a woman's wet bathing suit? And then getting back into the darn thing?? Yoga masters would find it tough. I won't complain about my kids peeing in the grass next to the pool anymore!

Take care!
    ROFL.

No, I've never tried to wriggle out of a woman's bathing suit, being a guy. Quite the opposite actually, when my wife has her's on, (and I always fail, I might add).

Maybe I should tether a trichlor puck to my wife's suit, just in case she has to "go"
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

I have one word for your wife (Tankini) - coverage of a one piece (for those of us who have had kids - lol), easy bathroom off of a bikini.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

Quote Originally Posted by froggybabies
    Diet coke in my case!
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

There are three kinds of people in the world: Those who admit they pee in the pool, those who lie about it, and me.

Rather than deal with the bathing suit, I get out of the pool and spray the backyard hose on myself while I go in the yard. We have no close neighbors and the hose is pretty private. When I have guests in the pool, I tell them they are welcome to do the same, and most of them do!
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

Chem geek, I sure hope your life insurance is paid up, because when your wife reads that you told everyone she admitted to peeing in the pool, she's gonna kill you..
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

When we had a pool party, we set up our little chem toilet from camping in private spot near the pool area we made with a shower curtain. Men use the trees, women used the chem toilet.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    Chem geek, I sure hope your life insurance is paid up, because when your wife reads that you told everyone she admitted to peeing in the pool, she's gonna kill you..
    I was thinking the same thing!
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

Senior Member In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ktdave
    Ditto!!

Well, since Richard started this, I might add that, at my age, in the pool is the least of my worries!!
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Ditto!!

Well, since Richard started this, I might add that, at my age, in the pool is the least of my worries!!
    One of the many wonderful things about the relationship my wife and I have is that we're both very honest with each other. I told her what I posted last night after she got home and though initially a little shocked (mostly worry that names might be used and that you might know her), she saw the humor in it. I'm still alive today. She drinks a LOT of water (actually, just closer to the daily recommended amount, but compared to me that's a lot) so the "need" is not surprising and in practical terms it's mostly water in / water out. I don't mind at all and am glad that I at least know about it so I won't fret about where the extra chlorine consumption might be coming from!
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Chem geek, and Mrs. Chem geek - you made my day. Husband and wives should be best friends, and if you can't tell your best friend these things, then they ain't your best friend! True to form chem geek, you just want the facts - thanks for a great post
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

...Richard, this is the funniest thing I have read in a long time! So glad I was not drinking anything, 'cause of the new puter and everything possibly taking a hit! All the reaction posts are just as funny and interesting! I like the water hose idea, but our well water feels just above freeeezing! I hope there is a way to keep this post 'handy' so that more folks will have the opportunity to see it! It is PRICELSSS! and......your wife is a good sport!
    Joyce .................... p.s. I drink a lot of water, too.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Quote Originally Posted by jjparrish
    ...Richard, this is the funniest thing I have read in a long time! So glad I was not drinking anything, 'cause of the new puter and everything possibly taking a hit! All the reaction posts are just as funny and interesting! I like the water hose idea, but our well water feels just above freeeezing! I hope there is a way to keep this post 'handy' so that more folks will have the opportunity to see it! It is PRICELSSS! and......your wife is a good sport!
    Joyce .................... p.s. I drink a lot of water, too.
    What is the deal with women and water anyway? My wife drinks enough water to drown a fish. She can't go anyhere without her travel cup thing full of water. I told her she would be in real bad shape if she got stuck in the desert ... wouldn't last an hour. Me? I'm a camel, don't drink much water. Maybe the suffices.

Now .... where did I put my ammonia test kit ......
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

Dave (Duraleigh),

I new item to market.... "Depends" for the pool.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

WELL now I need to think this one over........what am I doing wasting precious pool time by running out of the pool into the house every hour or so after quaffing my wine?? Or even with no wine, every hour or so seems to be the timing - must be a girl thing.

Maybe we need to add a column to Jason's calculator - how much bleach to add per oz of liquid refreshment which will equal how many oz of hmmmm fluid emptying into the pool per hour per person :P
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

Senior Member The Mermaid Queen's Avatar
    this is getting gross... hysterical, but gross!!

18x32 grecian IG vinyl; ~23000 gallons; 250# sand filter, Hayward superpump with AO Smith motor 1HP SF1.0; booster pump for polaris. Handy Links: Jason's Calculator, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Ditto!!

One of the many wonderful things about the relationship my wife and I have is that we're both very honest with each other. I told her what I posted last night after she got home and though initially a little shocked (mostly worry that names might be used and that you might know her), she saw the humor in it. I'm still alive today. She drinks a LOT of water (actually, just closer to the daily recommended amount, but compared to me that's a lot) so the "need" is not surprising and in practical terms it's mostly water in / water out. I don't mind at all and am glad that I at least know about it so I won't fret about where the extra chlorine consumption might be coming from!
    I'm glad to hear that Mrs. Chem geek is such a good sport about it. A sense of humor is a good quality to have in a wife/significant other, for sure.
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

Ditto!!

My father-in-law told me once about a time when he was out playing golf with his friends. They were all retirees and getting on up in age. One of the guys stepped behind a tree to relieve himself, and when he stepped back out, everyone could see where he had dribbled on his shoes. He came back to the golf cart and said "you know, back when I was a young man, I could peel the bark off a tree. Now I can't even keep it off of my d@mned shoes".
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"