Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fill er up!

1. Back To Top    #1

Fill er up!

I am about to refill my pool with city water. I got my city water tested today and the test came back as follows:

Total Chlorine- .3
    Free Chlorine- .1
    PH- 7.0
    Alkalinity- 30
    Calcium Hardness- 200
    Stabilizer- 0
    Chlorine Shock- 0.2

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am thinking if i fill it up, add 142 OZ of bleach as per the Pool Calculator, put some shock in it (How much?) to raise my CYA, and 10lbs of alkalinity plus and a few OZs of PHup, I should be ok? Is this correct? Thanks in advance!!
    28FT Round, 18,000 Gallon AGP, Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fill er up!

You don't need a "shock" product other than bleach. Add enough CYA---------- which is either called stabilizer or conditioner available at Walmart to bring CYA level t0 30 to 50 range. Read pool school as to what to add to raise your alkalinity (you might be surprised what)--which will raise your PH also------WITHOUT pool store products. And you're on your way! Adjust chlorine initially to the target level of your CYA. Keep a gallon of muriatic acid on hand to lower the ph which will probably rise. Available at hardware stores.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do I do all this after the pool is full?? Or do I need to do things as it fills?
    28FT Round, 18,000 Gallon AGP, Cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Wait till it fills so you can circulate the system.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!