Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I can't seem to get any CYA in my pool (or is it the test?)

1. Back To Top    #1

Charlotte MI

I can't seem to get any CYA in my pool (or is it the test?)

I need to start by saying that I am a new pool owner. We have a "temporary" 16x32x52 pool that we have had up and running for a couple of weeks now. I did the math and I am pretty sure that is 13,500 gallons of pool water. The pool has a 4,000 gph pump & filter.

I followed the opening your temporary pool instructions from this site. I did the first four days using pool shock and have followed with bleach. I bought a 6-way test kit from Wal-Mart and I can not seem to get any reading for CYA levels. You put 7ml of water in the container, then 7ml of the chemicals and shake it up. Then you drip it into another tube with a dot on the bottom and record when you can't the the dot. The problem is that my water is clear after I shake it.

I am adding bleach every day because the chlorine is almost gone every time that I test it. Should I start over with the chemicals and shock it again? I tried searching the forums but it kept saying that my search terms were too common...

Any help would be appreciated,
    Chris S.
    Pool Newbie
    16x32x52 ~13500 Gallons
    "Temporary" Above Ground Pool
    4000gph Cartridge Filter & Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: I can't seem to get any CYA in my pool (or is it the test?)

Your CYA just might not be able to "show up" yet. At this point........"assume" your cya level is what you added it to be, bring it to shock level with bleach, and keep it there untill your overnite loss is 1 ppm or less. See shocking in pool school. Gonna be tough to get accurate FC readings without a good test kit though. I assure you that one of the test kits recommended here is the key. Especially the FC and CC tests for shocking and maintenance.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Welcome to TFP.

What is the pool shock you're using? If it's Cal-Hypo or liquid shock it won't have any CYA in it. It has to be Dichlor or Trichlor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    South Carolina

Here is a link to the pics of the CYA test that may be helpful: ... ntentID=44

As mentioned, it can take up to a week (after adding) for the CYA to show up on a test.

Posting a full set of test #'s will help us help you.

You can take a water sample to the pool store and post back here with the results.

The best investment we made in our pool was getting a good test kit. I recommend the TF100 from - link in my sig. Best bang for the buck and great customer service.

13,500 gallons does not fit my description of a temp pool.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!