Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cant get my alkalinity down enough

1. Back To Top    #1

Cant get my alkalinity down enough

Im starting a swg system and my alkalinity was 150 when i started. I lowerd ph to 7.2 and it got down to 110. need it around 80. this has been for a day now. I am aerating now to get ph back up or should I keep it low so alk will come down more. How do I get it to come down more?
    Intex Easy set 18x48 pool
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cant get my alkalinity down enough

Aerating to bring the PH up is the correct thing to do. You can't add more acid until the PH comes up. Lowering TA can take a while.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. So when I get it up to 7.5. I bring it down to 7.0. And continue that process until I get alk where I need it
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, exactly!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

ok got it. thanks. darn intex pump does not have enough spunk to break water much. So it will take a little while unless I can find a cheap fountain or about 10 kids. lol
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Got an old fish tank air pump?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

no. i wanderd if that would work. I thought of going and buying a cheap one at walmart, but didnt know if it would work well. I want a fountain, but I dont know if any of them will work with a intex easy set pool.
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Poolgirl22 rigged up a sprinkler and a submersible pump. She posted quite a bit about it, including pictures
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

well my ph went back up to 7.5 so I lowered it down again with dry acid to 7.0 but alkalinity went up. it was 100 and now its 120. I dont understand how. Im going to recheck maybe i made error.
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pitmanr2003
    well my ph went back up to 7.5 so I lowered it down again with dry acid to 7.0 but alkalinity went up. it was 100 and now its 120. I dont understand how. Im going to recheck maybe i made error.
    A common complaint here. It's probably static electricity on the R-009 reagent. Wipe off the tip with a wet paper towel between drops. Do a search for "static" down at the lower right of the webpage and you'll find it comes up a lot!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

I did that. I checked it again and got 100. I must of miss counted. I always stop adding drops once it changes from green. If I add more drops it gets redder. Do I count till it goes red or just when it changes slightly
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

You count drops until the last one doesn't make any more change and then don't count the last one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok its higher than I thought lol. I think its gonna take a while. Ha
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pitmanr2003
    Ok its higher than I thought lol. I think its gonna take a while. Ha
    You really don't NEED to make any effort at this TA, just let the pH go up then bring it down. You can let it get higher than 7.5, I let it go to 7.8 then drop it to 7.2.

Be careful about going to 7.0 because as the TA lowers then the muriatic acid required to change pH is less. So, be certain to test TA before you lower the pH by much for if you overshoot and get 6.5 instead of 7.0 you might do some harm.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

15. Back To Top    #15

The kids had alot of fun "inventing" PVC fountains. Just start with a male adapter that will screw in your return fitting (1 1/2" standard) then add pieces to bring it up out of the water and change direction. My favorites:

Cheap no drill fountain: threaded male adapter>>street elbow>> foot of PVC>>22.5 degree bend (DVW type)>>threaded female adapter>>screw in your eyeball. You can position it vertical for very high waterworks, or just a bit above horizontal to rifffle the surface.

Redneck Model T: threaded male adapter>>street elbow>> foot of PVC>>Tee>>(2) one foot long pieces of PVC>>2 caps. Drill 1/8" along top part of tee, at a 45 degree angle.

You can also use those flexible bendy pieces that look like adjustable drinking straws (I think they are made for sink drains). Or you could just go to Walmart....... but what fun is that? I lowered my TA from 230 to 80 in as couple days with the model T (and 8 gallons of acid a quart at a time)
    33' above ground pool, 52" deep, about 27500 g
    sand filter w/zeobrite

16. Back To Top    #16

I got it down now. got it to 80. now time to get ph back up and relax. lol
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit