Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water is a turquoise blue color

1. Back To Top    #1

water is a turquoise blue color

It has been this bluish color for about 2 weeks now. I have been taking it to the pool store and all they tell me is keep adding 2 bags of shock and that the ph is a little high and to lower it. Here are my test results (from the pool store) from this morning. It is an 18000 gallon above ground pool with a sand filter.

CYA: 61
    TC: 2
    FC: 2
    PH: 7.9
    TA: 110
    Total Hardness: 197
    Quat: 3

What should I do to get the water clear? I have been to Wal-mart and stocked up the the chemicals recommended by this site as I am sick of paying the pool store hundreds of dollars a year.
    18000 gallon AG with sand filter
    Upstate NY

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: water is a turquoise blue color

Read How to shock your pool in Pool School. Your FC level is too low for your CYA level, and it sounds like you need to shock. Can you see the bottom of the pool?

You need to lower the PH down to 7.2 with Muratic Acid. This is the first step, then wait a half hour and add the bleach/liquid chlorine to reach shock levels.

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3

No we can't see the bottom of the pool at all. I have been playing with the pool calculator, I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for the help.
    18000 gallon AG with sand filter
    Upstate NY

4. Back To Top    #4

What brand of "shock" product?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

South Alabama

Bleach or liquid chlorine to bring it up to shock level
    18' x 4' intex pool, 7600 gallons, 2500 GPH intex pump with sand filter...

6. Back To Top    #6

Is it the bluish color when you put in a clear vial, or only as you look at it in the pool?
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska