High CYA - Fiberglass Pool

Jul 3, 2010
N.W. Indiana
New to board, but thought I would post for feedback for my unique situation relating to this topic. Have been reading like crazy, but the most recommended option not suitable for me. I mistakenly added stabalizer instead of a Ph chem to the pool...won't add chems at night again...now way high CYA. After a hard week of daily tweaking and backwashing got pool clear for the 4th of July, but I know not in balance and with way high CYA based off the 15 sec strip test...well over 100. My issue is I have a fiberglass pool in a low water table area (or high...can never remember the right way to call it) where lowering the pool water level for refill is not a smart thing to do. I have lowered level about 6-8 inches at a time several days in a row and probably have refilled about 2 ft of water in total overall. Any advice on how to get the CYA lowered in my situation would be appreciated. Once I receive my TF-100 test kit, I will post all numbers, but would like to try to work at reducing the CYA in the meantime. I know that there are other contributors to high CYA than just my stupidity. I am just wanting some suggestions to keep my pool on "life support" and reduce CYA until I know the proper real readings.

Thanks,
Tony

Keep your FC levels up accordingly - refer to the CYA chart. You don't want to risk it clouding up or getting murky before tomorrow. As long as your water is clear and you have the proper FC levels you can swim tomorrow and then resume lowering the CYA process afterwards.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Did the installer include a sump/dry-well under the pool? Can you see down it? If not, you're doing it right, that is a little at a time.

Scott

Scott,
Yes he did...Is there a rule of thumb like don't lower below level of standing water in sump well?
Further I put in a sump pump and have the ability to pump out water from the well if needed when there is bad flooding...which I do normally once a year or so when heavy rains hit several days in a row. Thus, I could keep the water out from around the pool if I do need to empty....however I do need to consider there is a major difference between shallow at 3.5' and deep at 8.5' ends.
Thanks,
Tony

Hi, Tony,

Welcome to the forum. It seems to me that sump will be very handy. I would lower the water in the sump as low as possible and then drain pool water downperhaps a foot or more.

As you suggested, if your pool water level stays above the level in the sump, I don't think you can go wrong. Even if you have to do 4 - 1 foot drains, That should be enough.

Another thing you could do is place a drain hose in the deep end and begin to siphon the pool. As the pool goes down, you could refill from the shallow end at the same rate and your overall pool level will never change.

You should probably verify your test strip results......they are notoriously bad on CYA and you want some confirmation you CYA is really at that level.

As always, we get really preachy about using a good test kit. It's for a reason......it's the only way you can effectively manage yuour pool.

duraleigh said:
Hi, Tony,

Welcome to the forum. It seems to me that sump will be very handy. I would lower the water in the sump as low as possible and then drain pool water downperhaps a foot or more.

As you suggested, if your pool water level stays above the level in the sump, I don't think you can go wrong. Even if you have to do 4 - 1 foot drains, That should be enough.

Another thing you could do is place a drain hose in the deep end and begin to siphon the pool. As the pool goes down, you could refill from the shallow end at the same rate and your overall pool level will never change.

You should probably verify your test strip results......they are notoriously bad on CYA and you want some confirmation you CYA is really at that level.

As always, we get really preachy about using a good test kit. It's for a reason......it's the only way you can effectively manage yuour pool.

Dave,
Actually have two drains in the bottom of the deep end which I can control via valve. I have been sucking from these using the backwash setting on my filter and sending the water to the yard. Seems like I am on the right track and have the tools needed to do this safely. Thanks!

Tony

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.