Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine levels, pH and CYA...a few q's

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine levels, pH and CYA...a few q's

Hello all,
    New salt water pool owner.
    Things have been going well, but a few q's as i get more into this:

1) Our Poolpilot Digital is set to 25% now, yet our FC levels are in the 8.0 - 8.5 range. Seems high given the fact that it is on 25%. I did notice the power level is set to 2 and not 1. Should I adjust?

2) Our CYA seems to be at about 60. Assume I should probably bring this up a bit (to 80) but with the high FC i wasnt sure.

3) My target pH is 7.6, Seems like I need to add about 20-30oz of acid/day to keep it there. I've typically just used the cheapie pentair kit. Today I tried the taylor kit in out TF-100 and it gave me a reading ~0.3 lower. Seems odd...any rationale?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine levels, pH and CYA...a few q's

Is this a new pool with salt water or an old pool with new salt water system or an old pool with an old salt water system and a new owner?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

new pool, new owner....
    26,000 IG gunite

Tonights #s:
    PH: 7.5
    TA: 100
    FC: 8.5

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Turn the setting down to 1, your CYA is fine. It's normal to have to use a lot of acid while the plaster cures. It will slow over time but you can expect the ph to drift up for a full year.

I would trust the taylor kit over any other.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner