Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

new pool owner

Hi everybody,

So I got this house a few months ago that has a 23,000 gallons pool kidney shaped with a depth of 8 and 4 ft. I used the chlorine tables and these are the results of the water test I took yesterday:
    Ph 7.6
    TA 90
    CH 190
    Cya 90
    FC .8
    CC 0
    The water is clear

Since the CYA is so high I decided to use the liquid sodium hypochlorite from OSH and last night I added about 4pt. This morning FC was 3.2

I use a solar cover to decrease the water evaporation and the water temperature should be around 75

Please let me know what else do I need to do and whether I should use tables or liquid chlorine going forward.

Thank you so much,
    Adrian
    IG 23,000 gallons plaster pool, 35 x 17, 4 to 8 ft deep ; Pentair cartridge filter ; 3/4 HP Sta-Rite pump ; Kreepy Krauly clasic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new pool owner

Welcome to TFP...With CYA at 90 you'll want your FC around 8-9ppm

Read Pool school if you haven't already...other than that the #'s look pretty good
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for reply.

Alright, I'm going to add liquid chlorine until FC gets to 7-8.

Can I use chlorine tablets after that or should I stick to the liquid chlorine? What I'm asking is whether the CYA can get higer than that using tablets...

Thank you,
    Adrian
    IG 23,000 gallons plaster pool, 35 x 17, 4 to 8 ft deep ; Pentair cartridge filter ; 3/4 HP Sta-Rite pump ; Kreepy Krauly clasic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA is high enough, maybe too high, no more pucks for you. With CH at 190 you could go to cal-hypo if you wanted to, you'd have to brush the pool to mix it in well after broadcasting it in the deep end. That will add some CH to the pool, use the Pool Calculator, Effects of adding chemicals, to find out exactly how much for your pool.

Personally I like to keep some cal-hypo on hand since it stores over a longer time than bleach, nice to have a lot on hand should some accident require a LOT of chlorine really fast and there is no time to find bottles and bottles of bleach. (ie, dead critter in the pool, fecal accident, etc)
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.