Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Pressure range

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Sand Filter Pressure range

Hello from BC (Okanagan) Canada.
    So i have been lurking here for a few weeks and months before i registered, I have learned so much from this place, thank-you to everyone who contributes their knowledge!!

I have been looking for a guideline for my sand filter, in my life prior to TFP I was backwashing weekly, pump running 24/7 during pool season (mid-may to end sept).
    Since being here I am running my pump and filter one day on, one day off, just started that after reading various posts about filter run times and such.
    One thing I cannot find is how high can I let my pressure get on my filter? Clean it runs at 18#, I have been starting to backwash at about 22. How high can i let it get, or is that personal preference as to how hard I want to be on my equipment and how clean i would like my pool?
    Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully fill me in.
    Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself for he will never cease to be amused.
    To teach is to learn twice.
    My Pool. 20 x 40 120,000 litres (about 30k gal) sand filter, a pump of some type...lol & a bunch of neighbourhood kids.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Sand Filter Pressure range

It is certainly personal preference. Most folks here recommend about an 8-10lb increase and then backwash. Because my normal psi is somewhat lower than normal (10), I will usually backwash around 14.

If my normal was 18psi, I would suggest backwashing not later than 25 or so.

I have recently learned that "aggresive" (too often) backwashing is the leading cause of lateral failure in a sand filter.

I know you didn't ask, but I would suggest a pump run time of 8-12 hours daily rather than 24 on/24 off.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Sand Filter Pressure range

thank-you. 8-12 hours eh? cool, the less power i use the better.

now to find out what 'lateral failure' is, because i did my pool like that since i have owned it, this being the 5th season.
    Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself for he will never cease to be amused.
    To teach is to learn twice.
    My Pool. 20 x 40 120,000 litres (about 30k gal) sand filter, a pump of some type...lol & a bunch of neighbourhood kids.