Suggestion for a pool alarm

ncbrit

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2010
Western North Carolina
We have a gate on the fence, and a french door that exits the living room into the fenced pool area. I'd like to have an alarm that sounds inside the house if either of these is opened. Wireless sensors would be best, and would need a pass through function for each. Any suggestions?

I have a door that exits my home onto my raised deck, which is then inside the fenced pool area. For this reason, by code I must have a pool alarm on that door. I purchased the DAPT-WT model pool alarm from Poolguard (www.poolguard.com). I bought it online at bestbuypoolsupply.com. This particular alarm meets the UL 2017 code, with the required high decibal alarm that sounds immediately if the override button is not pressed before opening the door. It's piercing and you definitely know when the door has been opened!! Not sure if this will work on the gate or not, but either of the companies mentioned should help steer you in the right direction.

On one note, If you have a security system installed in your home already, your security company can do this for you too. They can put sensors on your patio doors and on your gate that give an audible alarm when opened. Your alarm system does not have to be atcivated as when you are not home to have this feature.

momov2 said:
On one note, If you have a security system installed in your home already, your security company can do this for you too. They can put sensors on your patio doors and on your gate that give an audible alarm when opened. Your alarm system does not have to be atcivated as when you are not home to have this feature.

That is correct, but sometimes you have to twist their arms to get them to add something that is not on their normal menu.

I wanted to have my garage door (with sensor) to be able to be closed and alarmed AFTER I left the garage. It was just dumb to have to back the car out and then go inside to set the alarm. The regular setup would not allow for any contact to be open while setting the alarm. The prior owners had just left it not engaged at all. I knew from the DIYSecurity forum that it could be done but the company did not have experience with that. They sent their "best man" and he could not do it, finally, from the forum, I got the exact codes that were required. Even then their "best man" could not make it work. While he fiddled, I pulled up the Installation Manual online and read aloud the steps that explained how to input the numbers so that the system could read "11" as eleven and not "1", "1". Next year when he saw me he said that only 3 people had ever asked for that but it was a cool thing to be able to have.

On the DIYSecurity forum they sell a lot of things that are unusual, also SafeMart.com sells unusual things. I got water sensors that alert me if the AC pan or hot water heater pan in the attic is holding any water, for example, and had that hooked to my monitored alarm system. My monitoring company was able to hook it up when I told them how to treat it (like a medical alert, no alarm but a call to the station and a beeping at home).

On that forum, much like this forum, you will learn that way too many of the "professionals" are either poorly trained or too rushed to do a top notch job most of the time.

[edit] A quick review of that forum shows that a Pool Alert is always a separate thing from a security system. So no help from the security folks on this one. sorry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.