Higher FC then normal, kids eyes red and burning....

Aug 13, 2009
Kodak (East), TN
Hello, I am having a pool party tomorrown and want to be sure that the water is ok, and comfortable for people to swim in. Here are my numbers:
FC-10.5
CC-.5
TC-11
pH-7.6
T/A-160
CH-260
CYA-70
Salt-2820

Have been running the SWG for 12hours at night. And in the last two nights the temp has gone down a bit (from about 75 down to 65).
I normally average a FC of about 4-5. From what I can tell from Pool School, a FC of 10.5 is ok to swim, but my kids eyes are burning after swimming for a bit. This is not usual of a SWG run pool...correct??

Is there anything I need to do to adjust my numbers? And is there any other way then just running the SWG for less...to lower FC a little bit? And should I just leave the SWG completely off tonight??
Thanks so much!!
Pool-Mom

Not to discount any issues with the water chemistry, but have you changed sunscreens/blocks recently for the kids. We had a similar problem awhile back and determined that was the problem. Switched back to the original one, and no problem.

There is a small chance that this is related to your CC level. CC can cause those symptoms. Normally CC isn't a problem at 0.5, but once in a long while it can be just above 0.5 and still test as 0.5 and be a problem. When you do the FC/CC test and get to the CC step, is the water a clear obvious pink, or is it an extremely faint pink?

Ok...to answer all the questions:

I haven't changed the kids sunblock lately.

I do live in the mountains...LOL. :lol: But I meant the the temp outside went from being 75 at night to 65. I don't have a thermometer for the pool water, but I assume after a few nights of cooler outside temp, the water temp would drop a little too.

And when I did the CC test, the water was a very faint pink. And when you say "problem", what can I do to remedy this problem (if there is one)??
Thanks again everyone!!

dmanb2b said:
Try lowering PH to 7.4...not sure why, but it seems much more comfortable on my eyes...then again, maybe it is just in my head :hammer:

It is because that is the optimum pH for the human body. A normal bloodstream pH is between 7.35 and 7.45. 7.4 is right in the middle perfect.

The pH of human tears varies, but as described in this link (or this link which is the same thing), it averages around 7.5.

For me, my eyes only burn when my sunscreen gets into them, but man does that sting.

Some eyes can be sensitive and when we say "safe to swim in" up to shock level that doesn't mean you aren't going to notice the higher active chlorine level. As Dave said, you can have your FC in the 3-5 ppm range (for your CYA of 70 ppm) which should be less irritating, though I suspect it's not the chlorine level since eye irritation usually requires far higher chlorine levels -- for chlorine with no CYA in tests on rabbits' conjuctiva, reactions start at 16 ppm. Reaction with monochloramine starts at 3 ppm. If you retest your CC level using a 25 ml sample size, I suspect it may be <= 0.2 ppm so is probably not the source of the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.