Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Higher FC then normal, kids eyes red and burning....

1. Back To Top    #1

Higher FC then normal, kids eyes red and burning....

Hello, I am having a pool party tomorrown and want to be sure that the water is ok, and comfortable for people to swim in. Here are my numbers:
    FC-10.5
    CC-.5
    TC-11
    pH-7.6
    T/A-160
    CH-260
    CYA-70
    Salt-2820

Have been running the SWG for 12hours at night. And in the last two nights the temp has gone down a bit (from about 75 down to 65).
    I normally average a FC of about 4-5. From what I can tell from Pool School, a FC of 10.5 is ok to swim, but my kids eyes are burning after swimming for a bit. This is not usual of a SWG run pool...correct??

Is there anything I need to do to adjust my numbers? And is there any other way then just running the SWG for less...to lower FC a little bit? And should I just leave the SWG completely off tonight??
    Thanks so much!!
    Pool-Mom
    AG, 13500gal, 24x52 Intex Metal Frame, Krystal Clear Filter Pump Model 633, with Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Higher FC then normal, kids eyes red and burning....

Not to discount any issues with the water chemistry, but have you changed sunscreens/blocks recently for the kids. We had a similar problem awhile back and determined that was the problem. Switched back to the original one, and no problem.
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Numbers look ok to me. My daughter has been complaining when my FC is at 8 and all other numbers are good. Maybe she's just sensitive.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The numbers are fine to swim but with your SWG, I don't see any reason to run your FC that high. 3-5ppm should be fine.

(Man, that water's cold....you must be in the mountains)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

There is a small chance that this is related to your CC level. CC can cause those symptoms. Normally CC isn't a problem at 0.5, but once in a long while it can be just above 0.5 and still test as 0.5 and be a problem. When you do the FC/CC test and get to the CC step, is the water a clear obvious pink, or is it an extremely faint pink?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok...to answer all the questions:

I haven't changed the kids sunblock lately.

I do live in the mountains...LOL. But I meant the the temp outside went from being 75 at night to 65. I don't have a thermometer for the pool water, but I assume after a few nights of cooler outside temp, the water temp would drop a little too.

And when I did the CC test, the water was a very faint pink. And when you say "problem", what can I do to remedy this problem (if there is one)??
    Thanks again everyone!!
    AG, 13500gal, 24x52 Intex Metal Frame, Krystal Clear Filter Pump Model 633, with Intex SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Try lowering PH to 7.4...not sure why, but it seems much more comfortable on my eyes...then again, maybe it is just in my head
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Try lowering PH to 7.4...not sure why, but it seems much more comfortable on my eyes...then again, maybe it is just in my head
    It is because that is the optimum pH for the human body. A normal bloodstream pH is between 7.35 and 7.45. 7.4 is right in the middle perfect.

9. Back To Top    #9

The pH of human tears varies, but as described in this link (or this link which is the same thing), it averages around 7.5.

For me, my eyes only burn when my sunscreen gets into them, but man does that sting.

Some eyes can be sensitive and when we say "safe to swim in" up to shock level that doesn't mean you aren't going to notice the higher active chlorine level. As Dave said, you can have your FC in the 3-5 ppm range (for your CYA of 70 ppm) which should be less irritating, though I suspect it's not the chlorine level since eye irritation usually requires far higher chlorine levels -- for chlorine with no CYA in tests on rabbits' conjuctiva, reactions start at 16 ppm. Reaction with monochloramine starts at 3 ppm. If you retest your CC level using a 25 ml sample size, I suspect it may be <= 0.2 ppm so is probably not the source of the problem.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"