Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Really GOOD Bleach ????

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    138

    Really GOOD Bleach ????

    Good Morning All....I was previously adding 6% -96 oz. jugs of bleach to my pool Walmart brand. Last week the husband and I went to the Dollar Store and found 6% - 182 oz. of Dollar Store brand for only $1 more and bought a whole cart full. I added some to my pool the other night according to the Pool Calculator and tested the next morning. Was targeting a FC level of 12 and it raised the level to 17ppm. I thought I had made a mistake and checked the calculator again. I hadn't made a mistake. So, last night I added approx. half of what the calculator suggested and my FC level is 13 this morning up from 7 ppm last night. This bleach is like using 12%.....Must be some really good bleach. Anyway I think I am going to keep buying it from the Dollar Store. PS....Got my CYA down from 80 to 70......Yay!
    30' Round Vinyl AG, 21,200 K GAL. with Main drain, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Sand filter, BBB Method & TF~100 Test Kit

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    Best to keep a close eye on that as some dollar store bleach is not as labeled. First time I've heard of it being too strong!
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

    Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    Glad that you were able to apparently get some good chlorine from the dollar store. Most reports of dollar store bleach are not good. Your's is the exception.

    Where is this store? Also, would you tell us the name of the bleach and the ingredients?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    138

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Glad that you were able to apparently get some good chlorine from the dollar store. Most reports of dollar store bleach are not good. Your's is the exception.

    Where is this store? Also, would you tell us the name of the bleach and the ingredients?
    This is from the Dollar General Store in McKenzie, TN. The Brand is called "DG HOME" 182 oz. the ingredients say: ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Sodium Hypochlorite 6.0% , Other Ingredients: 94.0%, Total: 100% (Contains No Phosphorus). And it is $2.50 per 182 Oz.
    30' Round Vinyl AG, 21,200 K GAL. with Main drain, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Sand filter, BBB Method & TF~100 Test Kit

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    138

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    Here are pictures. Sorry they are sideways...forgot to rotate
    Attached Images Attached Images
    30' Round Vinyl AG, 21,200 K GAL. with Main drain, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Sand filter, BBB Method & TF~100 Test Kit

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    132

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    You might have been lucky.

    I purchased bleach at Big Lots until I determined that the bleach was at best 3%.

    If you purchase bleach at bargain stores check the labels carefully and do not purchase quantities until you have verified the strength.
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

  7. Back To Top    #7
    cubbybeave08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    890

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    I get 12.5 % liquid chlorine, and I pay 2.40 per gallon...I like it a lot, because for that price I can maintain my chlorine at 26 to 32 ounces a night At this rate I go through one gallon per week as long as I am not having to shock. I just got back from vacation and had to do some shocking. Water was clear but cloudy and Fc wasn't holding overnight very well...so that was on Monday...by Wednesday everything was cleared up...the water was sparkley and clear and now i am back to maintenance doses...to clear up this cloudy water and possible algae issue...$4.80...You can't beat that...
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

  8. Back To Top    #8
    ultra800_96's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pomeroy, Iowa
    Posts
    225

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    Same identical bottle as I'm buying here in IA at Dollar General for $2.50/jug also. It always says 6%. I've never checked for accuracy very close, but it has never undershot my chlorine level that I've found. I'm happy with it. Also 12.5% at Shoppers Supply for 2.99/gal. My only place to source 12.5%.
    12,900 Gal. 24' X 48" ABG Vinyl Round (17th Birthday)
    1HP Hayward Pump w/S180T Hayward Sand Filter
    AquaTrol RJ SWCG 2011 startup
    TFP Method since '09, TF100
    50ppm Borates, June '12

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    This was on sale for $2.00 today at my local Dollar General.
    18'x48" Intex metal frame pool, 1600 Intex sand filer/pump combo, Intex SWCG.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    138

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    I need to see if it's on sale at my Dollar General...Thanks for the heads up.
    30' Round Vinyl AG, 21,200 K GAL. with Main drain, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Sand filter, BBB Method & TF~100 Test Kit

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Georgia
    Posts
    298

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    Tbell, I use the same stuff from the Dollar General and have had good results. I have not found any bleach any cheaper anywhere based on working oz. of clorine. We live out in the country and do not have quick access to 10.5 or 12 percent bleach so I have been running my pool on the Dollar General Brand for two years. I have not had your experence of the bleach being to powerful but was more concerned that the bleach was not properly labled and was actually less percentage than labled. Consequently I have saved all my receipts just in the even someone opens a class action law suit over this issue. LOL. The cashiers at our store know when they see me I am there to pick up bleach and tell me of any sales out there. Like I said we live in a really small town. Since the summer clorine demand has hit I am using 2 jugs a day so for savings sake I have been forced to go get some of the 2.5 gallan 10.5% bleach from the pool store. It is certainly cheaper but not nearly as convenient.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    138

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonknox
    Tbell, I use the same stuff from the Dollar General and have had good results. I have not found any bleach any cheaper anywhere based on working oz. of clorine. We live out in the country and do not have quick access to 10.5 or 12 percent bleach so I have been running my pool on the Dollar General Brand for two years. I have not had your experence of the bleach being to powerful but was more concerned that the bleach was not properly labled and was actually less percentage than labled. Consequently I have saved all my receipts just in the even someone opens a class action law suit over this issue. LOL. The cashiers at our store know when they see me I am there to pick up bleach and tell me of any sales out there. Like I said we live in a really small town. Since the summer clorine demand has hit I am using 2 jugs a day so for savings sake I have been forced to go get some of the 2.5 gallan 10.5% bleach from the pool store. It is certainly cheaper but not nearly as convenient.
    Thanks Jasonknox....I am still adding half of what the pool calculator is rocommending and having great results. The only thing I had go wrong with the Dollar Store bleach thus far is that one jug was leaking from the top and bleached out the floor mat in the back of my car. But it's working great in my pool.
    30' Round Vinyl AG, 21,200 K GAL. with Main drain, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Sand filter, BBB Method & TF~100 Test Kit

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    5,061

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    I get 12.5 % liquid chlorine, and I pay 2.40 per gallon...I like it a lot, because for that price I can maintain my chlorine at 26 to 32 ounces a night At this rate I go through one gallon per week as long as I am not having to shock. I just got back from vacation and had to do some shocking. Water was clear but cloudy and Fc wasn't holding overnight very well...so that was on Monday...by Wednesday everything was cleared up...the water was sparkley and clear and now i am back to maintenance doses...to clear up this cloudy water and possible algae issue...$4.80...You can't beat that...
    That IS an awesome price!!!

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    138

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    We have a local farm store here in town that sells what they call Liquid Shock... the label reads 10.5% hypochlorite I think....but it is expensive. It's cheaper for me to just buy bleach.
    30' Round Vinyl AG, 21,200 K GAL. with Main drain, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Sand filter, BBB Method & TF~100 Test Kit

  15. Back To Top    #15
    cubbybeave08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    890

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    I get mine from the local Great Escape pool store. It used to be more expensive, but now it is not so bad.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

  16. Back To Top    #16
    busbeepbeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    24

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    I've been using the Proforce Brand from Sams Club. 4 gallons of 6% for $5.87. ($1.47/gal).

    Would love to find a local place selling 12% for $2.40 a gallon.
    17,000 gallon in-ground plaster (circa 1985) | Tagelus 60 Sand Filter | Whisperflo WFE-3 3/4 hp (1.25HP/1.67SF) | 1.5" plumbing, 17psi normal | TF-100 Test Kit | Liquidator

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    Quote Originally Posted by busbeepbeep
    I've been using the Proforce Brand from Sams Club. 4 gallons of 6% for $5.87. ($1.47/gal).

    Would love to find a local place selling 12% for $2.40 a gallon.
    You might be able to check into a distributor like Univar but that might require you buy in larger quantities.
    I have bought 12% in gallon sized jugs from them before.
    Obviously the more you buy the cheaper it is.

    Best option is to buy it in 55 gallon drums but.... you don't want to store this stuff for too long. It might even end up being more trouble than it's worth...?

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    52

    Re: Really GOOD Bleach ????

    Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    I get 12.5 % liquid chlorine, and I pay 2.40 per gallon...I like it a lot, because for that price I can maintain my chlorine at 26 to 32 ounces a night At this rate I go through one gallon per week as long as I am not having to shock. I just got back from vacation and had to do some shocking. Water was clear but cloudy and Fc wasn't holding overnight very well...so that was on Monday...by Wednesday everything was cleared up...the water was sparkley and clear and now i am back to maintenance doses...to clear up this cloudy water and possible algae issue...$4.80...You can't beat that...
    That's what we get from the water conditioner supplier in easy to manage gallon jugs. I think we pay more but it's still not bad. It sounds like 12.5% will work? Like you, on a good weekend we are away from the house for days so I'm hoping some hold-over is possible.
    24' round/52" deep Leisure Bay AG est. 13.5k gallons
    Hayward TS180 Sand Filter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •