Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Output conversion of SWG systems

1. Back To Top    #1

Output conversion of SWG systems

Different brands/models of SWGs specify varias chlorine output levels, i.e., .93 lbs/hr, 1.5, lbs/hr, etc etc.

How do use this in my evaluation of what output is best for my size pool/climate? What chlorine ouput is too small, etc.?

Thanks.
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Output conversion of SWG systems

Roughly speaking you want a unit with a minimum of about 0.35 to 0.4 lbs/day for every 10,000 gallons of water in your pool. This ratio varies somewhat depending on where you live. If you live somewhere extremely sunny and hot then you want a little more chlorine/day, somewhere cooler and shaded a little less chlorine/day. Getting an oversized unit is a great idea up to a point, but I wouldn't go above about 1.2 lbs/day for each 10,000 gallons.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

for my size pool ... 26k gallons Are you suggesting that I spend the extra $100 on a higher rated unit. For what I am looking at, instead of getting the unit that is rated for 30k gallons at output of 1.3 lbs/hr, get the unit that is rated for 45k gallons at 1.95 lbs/hr ... or is that overkill for 26k gallons?

Thanks
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Get the largest size cell you can afford. It will allow you to run the output lower, which will extend the life of the cell and will be more cost effective in the long run.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Based on feedback, I am now looking at the Circupool RJ45 unit ($100 off for the 4th of July) instead of the Jandy Ei which only had an output of .93 lbs/hr vs 1.95 lbs/hr with Circupool for about the same money.