Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bleach at Aldi's

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach at Aldi's

For all you BBB'ers.....We were at Aldi's the other day doing our monthly "stock up" and I came across the isle that has their cleaners.

Aldi's has 96 oz. jugs of 6% bleach now and it's a whopping $1.05 a bottle.

Thought that was a heck of a deal...so I figured I'd pass the savings along. So if you have an Aldi's near you...go stock up.

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach at Aldi's

Yeah, Aldi's is famous in these parts for their low prices on bleach.

3. Back To Top    #3

I checked out Aldi's here in SW Indiana yesterday and saw that it was $1.09 per 96 oz., or 1.1 cent per oz. I wasn't sure how good that was (just started using liq. bleach the last several weeks) and after visiting several other stores in town, realized that was a heck of a deal, even better than Sam's. I then stopped in at a pool supply store just for the heck of it and asked about their liquid chlorine product. The owner pointed to the stacked cases; I asked "Is it 12%?" - no, 14%, he replied. I checked the label - was 12.5% - poor fellow didn't even know his product. The price? $20 a case of 4 one-gallon jugs, that's 3.9 cents per oz. After adjusting for the difference in chlorine concentration, that's equivalent to 1.87 cents per ounce. I think I'll be making regular trips to Aldi's this summer....
    25 K gal, vinyl, IG, next to forest,liquid chlorine and tab chlorinator backup,55gpm sand filter,1.5hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

For those on the East coast, check your local BJ's Wholesale (members only club store, east coast only). I've been buying 12.5% liquid pool chlorine, a box of four (4) 128 oz. (1 gal.) jugs for 12 bucks and some change. That works out to around 2 1/2 cents per oz. for 12.5%, which roughly equates to around 1.2 cents per ounce if 6%. And 12.5% means less jugs to lug around! I believe the brand is "Austin's"...good stuff.
    Vintage 1963 20' x 40' elliptical, 27,000 gal. painted concrete, diving board, Sta-Rite Dura-Glas pump DIY upgrade 2009 with A.O. Smith B2981 E-Plus New Centurion High Efficiency Two-Speed Motor, full rated-1.67 SF 115V, 3/4 hp-12.4 amps high speed, 0.10 hp-2.2 amps low speed running 24/7 low speed, Hayward 225T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

That's the best of both worlds: great price and fewer jug-lugging.
    25 K gal, vinyl, IG, next to forest,liquid chlorine and tab chlorinator backup,55gpm sand filter,1.5hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I finally made it to Aldi's today and indeed they had cheap bleach! $1.09 for 3 qts. Question though about their carts. I'm not a regular Aldi's shopper and have no idea of how to disconnect a cart to use it. We felt a little foolish but..... Thanks for the info on the prices!!!!!
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

7. Back To Top    #7

You just need a quarter. The quarter goes into the slot opposite where the chain is. When you push it in the chain releases and your cart is freed.
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by retro-cement-pond
    For those on the East coast, check your local BJ's Wholesale (members only club store, east coast only). I've been buying 12.5% liquid pool chlorine, a box of four (4) 128 oz. (1 gal.) jugs for 12 bucks and some change. That works out to around 2 1/2 cents per oz. for 12.5%, which roughly equates to around 1.2 cents per ounce if 6%. And 12.5% means less jugs to lug around! I believe the brand is "Austin's"...good stuff.
    Saw this today at BJs and was going to post it but you beat me to it. $12.99 for a case of 4-1 gallon jugs of 12.5%. Not a bad deal at all and no return and deposit on the 5 gallon carboys Namco sells.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you get your quarter back?
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara C
    Do you get your quarter back?
    Yes, when you return your cart and re-insert the chain

We use Aldi's bleach, too.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the education about Aldi's! I figured the quarter thing was going on and that you had to get it back somehow since there wasn't a large receptacle for them. We didn't have any change on us but it's good to know for next time! I'll remember to take cash with me too next time. I had no idea they didn't take credit cards. What an education!!
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara C
    Thanks for the education about Aldi's! I figured the quarter thing was going on and that you had to get it back somehow since there wasn't a large receptacle for them. We didn't have any change on us but it's good to know for next time! I'll remember to take cash with me too next time. I had no idea they didn't take credit cards. What an education!!
    Yep, that first trip to Aldi's is a real, um, different experience! Only cash or debit card.

And if you want a bag to load your purchase, you gotta' either bring one with you or buy one.
    Or you can find an empty box or box top in the store for your use.

Lucky for us, they leave the Tundra bleach in the 96oz-4-pack boxes
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

Ours had the bleach in boxes too. I'm always ready with a bag though. I have 3 that fold up very small and fit in a side pocket of my purse. The purse isn't even ginormous. I didn't know you had to buy bags! Whereabouts in SC are you? We lived in Beaufort for three years and I didn't know of any close around.
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

14. Back To Top    #14

We're near Irmo (with a Columbia address)

We keep the fold-up save-the-earth bags along w/a couple boxes in the back of the Jeep.

I try to use my bags and not bring home any more plastic when I shop

15. Back To Top    #15

I do the same with my own bags too even though it seems the cashiers would prefer I didn't!!

Maybe by now, Beaufort or surrounding area has an Aldi's. It's been a few years since we lived there.
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

It's amazing at price differences. I didn't realize Meijer stores were only in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky, but they sell 4 gallon cases of 10% for $9.99. Comes out to 1.9 cents/oz. I couldn't believe then going to Wal-Mart and the HTH 10% selling for $11 for only 2 gallons. Just a heads up if anyone is in the area, especially in August when they start marking what's left down and selling it for about $8 a case to make room for the Christmas items.

Oh, and the quarter thing is really a great idea. Think of all the carts rolling around a Wal-Mart parking lot. But at the risk of not getting your quarter back, Aldi's has almost completely eliminated that problem.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

17. Back To Top    #17

I had been seeing all the talk about Aldi's bleach..So I went by our local store..First time in..I was not that impressed...They did have bleach for $1.o9 for 96 oz..Great buy but noticed on the cases best used date of Jan...2010..Well.I was concerned about that and didn't want to mess my wonderful clear water up so I just passes ..Sticking with Great Value at this time....Any comment on the best used date....You never see them on the bottle's and the only reason I noticed was it was on the cases making up the display....
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

They're usually just a stamp on the bottle. I picked up 24 jugs last Friday and they're all use by December 2010....that works for me.
    24' AGP, 13,500 gallons, Hayward 100 lb Sand Filter, 1hp Pentair Optiflo Pump

19. Back To Top    #19

Be careful with the Liquid Chlorine from Meijer. I too stumbled across that great price last year, but finally came to the conclusion it was old and had lost some of its potency, as I was not able to maintain my normal chlorine level when using it, and it was 10% vs the usual 6%. I switched back to my wal-mart brand as they have such a high turnover of their product.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

20. Back To Top    #20

I've been using Aldi's bleach for two years now. The $1.09 per 96 oz jug is a recent price reduction from $1.19 per jug. The other great thing is that there is actually 102 oz of bleach in each jug, making it cheaper yet! I've measured the contents of their jugs numerious times, always 102 oz. Also it must be very close to the advertised 6% because my pool calculator calculations are right on the money.
    Roger

14 x 28 Vinyl Inground, 13200 gal., Hayward EC-65 DE w/1hp Superpump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast