Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to shock a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

When to shock a pool

I had a question regarding when to shock a pool. My understanding, which is cobbled together from information I found online, is that shocking is supposed to oxidize the combined chlorine and free it up. I also read that you should shock your pool every 1-2 weeks. I've been carefully measuring my pool and so far I have not seen any combined chlorine, so I have not been shocking my pool. Should I shock my pool even if there is no combined chlorine? Sorry for the newb question.

Also for those of you who think I'm an industrial spy ( ... 4715#14715) bent on the fall of chemical based pools, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm just new to pools and trying to figure out what works best and what doesn't.

Thanks for any responses.

2. Back To Top    #2
    During the season, I shock ONLY when I test CC above .5 ppm.

I shocked when I opened, once mid year (and I didn't need to then, I test my water that had been sitting un-circulated in full day sun) and unless something changes will only shock when I close.

3. Back To Top    #3

I only shock when I have CC's.

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Spring Hill, Florida
    I'm with Rangeball. I shock when CC exceeds 0.5 ppm. I've not shocked yet this year (knock on wood).

I have a SWCG which is set to maintain FC at 2.0 ppm, and I keep the borate level at 50 ppm.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for posting that question, I was wondering the same myself since I haven't had CC since initial open/shock. If I may ask another newbie question here, what are borates and how do I test? I have the TFP test kit and don't see a borate test included?
    c ya, grivera

IG, Cement, 18,600 Gal; DE, SWCG, Nature 2; 1.5 hp pump; Quartz Aggregate, Mid-Atlantic-1st opened 7/07

6. Back To Top    #6
    Silver Spring, MD
    Borates are the primary ingredient in borax. Borates have several properties that are useful with pools. They raise PH, buffer PH, prevent algae, reduce chlorine usage, improve water feel, and add sparkle. If you are only using borax to raise PH you probably don't have enough in the pool to detect any of the other properties. For the full effect you need to have borates at 30-50 ppm. Pets that reguarly drink a lot of water from a pool with 30-50 borates might have problems. Pets should be trained not to drink from the pool. There is no risk to people or kids.

Test strips are the most pratical test method. LaMotte Borate test strips seem to be the best but are sometimes difficult to find. AquaChek Borate test strips are acceptable. Some pool stores can test for borates.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    Thanks for the replies, glad to see I wasn't screwing anything up.