Hi TFP

square

Jul 1, 2010
I have been looking around here for a few days, and seems like a great source of information and an easy going crowd!

I am new to pool ownership, recently purchased a home with a pool and a small toddler spa on the side (of the pool). I guess the pool is 7-8 years old, uses a SWG and a DE filter, and seems to be in good shape. Pool is maintained by a pool company that stops by twice per month.

Being a DIY type and sometime Engineer, I suspect I will take over from the pool company soon.

Square

Ooh, you're gonna LOVE this forum. Being an engineer by education I know that this will really appeal to your sense of order and need to play with numbers.

Do read Pool School and maybe print out the parts that are not clear on the first pass. Then find the CYA Chart and bookmark it. Then find the Pool Calculator and input your pool specs and bookmark that. That is a fun one.

You will want an accurate test kit and a chart to keep your data in. TF-100 is the best IMO, and it has an erasable chart in the lid but I expanded that so I could keep the records longer. I second the suggestion of the SpeedStir, very handy little thing to add to the kit and it fits so neatly inside the box, too.

Oh, before you fire the pool service, make sure they walk you through all the parts of the equipment, how to clean the filter, and when to know cleaning is needed. I did not get anyone to tell me how to drain water below the level of the skimmers and so I'd ask that if I had the chance now. If you are in an area where the pool is closed for the winter, be sure to see how that is done, also how to open in the spring.

Finally, add your pool specs to your profile so we can see what you are talking about, sometimes the advice is different for above ground or vinyl or salt water pools, and location can be key as well.