Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi TFP

I have been looking around here for a few days, and seems like a great source of information and an easy going crowd!

I am new to pool ownership, recently purchased a home with a pool and a small toddler spa on the side (of the pool). I guess the pool is 7-8 years old, uses a SWG and a DE filter, and seems to be in good shape. Pool is maintained by a pool company that stops by twice per month.

Being a DIY type and sometime Engineer, I suspect I will take over from the pool company soon.

13,500 Gal. inground pool, Aqualink controller, Purex Triton DE filter, Zodiac SWG and Polaris cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Hi TFP

Hi, square!

By all means, fire the pool service. I held on to mine too long; they came highly recommended by the previous owner. I won't list their shortcomings.

Head on over to and get yourself a TF100 and a speedstir. Both should appeal to your engineer mind.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ooh, you're gonna LOVE this forum. Being an engineer by education I know that this will really appeal to your sense of order and need to play with numbers.

Do read Pool School and maybe print out the parts that are not clear on the first pass. Then find the CYA Chart and bookmark it. Then find the Pool Calculator and input your pool specs and bookmark that. That is a fun one.

You will want an accurate test kit and a chart to keep your data in. TF-100 is the best IMO, and it has an erasable chart in the lid but I expanded that so I could keep the records longer. I second the suggestion of the SpeedStir, very handy little thing to add to the kit and it fits so neatly inside the box, too.

Oh, before you fire the pool service, make sure they walk you through all the parts of the equipment, how to clean the filter, and when to know cleaning is needed. I did not get anyone to tell me how to drain water below the level of the skimmers and so I'd ask that if I had the chance now. If you are in an area where the pool is closed for the winter, be sure to see how that is done, also how to open in the spring.

Finally, add your pool specs to your profile so we can see what you are talking about, sometimes the advice is different for above ground or vinyl or salt water pools, and location can be key as well.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum.

That's a great username. You have opened up a chance for us to attempt to be clever and funny.....notice I said attempt!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

North Central Texas

Welcome to TFP.

I've had a couple of dogs, over the years (AKC registration) named "Pi R Squire", an English Setter and an English Mastiff. I had physical science (later on biological)/mathematics training in another life.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks all for the welcome!

I will track down the test kits and get detail for my sig line. Speedstir looks like a neat gadget!
    13,500 Gal. inground pool, Aqualink controller, Purex Triton DE filter, Zodiac SWG and Polaris cleaner.