Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phosphates?

1. Back To Top    #1

Phosphates?

I went to the pool store to get my water tested and he said that it is high in phosphates. I have owned a pool for 20 years and never heard of this. He said it is from the rain water. He said it is at 300. He said that I needed to add a bottle of Phos Free. I usually use Pool Doctor but went to Leslie's because I needed chlorine and they are closer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Phosphates?

You dont need to wory about phosphates at all. They are irrelevant in a properly chlorinated pool.
    How do you chlorinate? Do you have your own test kit? Did Leslies test the water? What were the results?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ignore them.

Phosphates are food for algae. Wood is food for a fire. If you don't have a fire, it just sits there, same as your phosphates in the absence of algae.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Leslie's tested and gave me this:

FC 5+
    PH 7.6
    TA 120
    CH 250
    CYA 60 (just added on Sunday)
    TDS 1800
    Phosphates 300

I have IG that is chlorinated with chlorine. Have a cartridge. It is 17,000 gallons.

5. Back To Top    #5

I meant how do you add your chlorine? Liquid, powder, or pucks?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry, I thought I said that. I use liquid chlorine. Only use pucks when I go on vacation.

7. Back To Top    #7

Phosphates are food for algae. Wood is food for a fire. If you don't have a fire, it just sits there, same as your phosphates in the absence of algae.
    Excellent analogy.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

8. Back To Top    #8

I just had my water tested at my local pool supply store and they said my phosphates are at 2500 ppb. They recommend--for about $75--the commercial grade of Phosfree. The phosphate level was 100 ppb about 5 weeks ago and the jump is due to the enormous pollen drop we get in Houston this time of year. Pretty much everything outdoors is covered in a yellow dust. Every few days there is a yellow line on the tile in my pool. It's finally starting to subside.

My numbers are as follows:

FC 7.0 (just started my SWG so it's a little higher than normal)
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.5
    TA 80
    CYA 80
    Hardness 355
    Salt 3500

I take it that even at 2,500 ppb, I should not worry about phosphates. Correct?
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by HouTex
    I just had my water tested at my local pool supply store and they said my phosphates are at 2500 ppb. They recommend--for about $75--the commercial grade of Phosfree. The phosphate level was 100 ppb about 5 weeks ago and the jump is due to the enormous pollen drop we get in Houston this time of year. Pretty much everything outdoors is covered in a yellow dust. Every few days there is a yellow line on the tile in my pool. It's finally starting to subside.

My numbers are as follows:

FC 7.0 (just started my SWG so it's a little higher than normal)
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.5
    TA 80
    CYA 80
    Hardness 355
    Salt 3500

I take it that even at 2,500 ppb, I should not worry about phosphates. Correct?
    You are correct

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks. This forum is a great resource. Lot's of good information here.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Discussion of maxepr1's comments has been moved to this topic.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School