Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How can i build my own in ground swimming pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How can i build my own in ground swimming pool?

I bought a house with a pool years ago & I sold the house, but me & my family realy enjoyed the pool.
    I would like to build a pool at my new house & I would like to keep the cost extremly low.
    How do I go abouth building my own pool instead of hiring a pool company?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How can i build my own in ground swimming pool?

Welcome to TFP.

You can buy the pool as a kit and install it yourself. You'll need a backhoe to dig the hole. It's not simple, but it's not extremely complicated either. Google "inground pool kit" and you should find plenty of options.

You can also build block walls in the hole and purchase a liner. You'll probably find examples of that on the web as well.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have the time an owner built pool is a good way to save 20-40% on the cost of the pool. In essence you subcontract each phase of the construction. There are web sites that guide you through each step of the process. If our in an area where the economy is poor you'll be better off.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm sure Duraleigh will chime in soon, but you may want to PM him (owner of TFP)...he built a giant of a cool pool and may have some tips for you.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Check out this site: http://www.howibuiltmyownpool.com/
    30K gal in ground shotcrete pool with Sunstone Select finish
    Attached raised spa with spillway
    DE filter, 400K btu heater
    Ray-Vac cleaner - replaced with Letro Legend 2
    Use BBB methods

6. Back To Top    #6

Do your homework and learn the process. Find the subs that the builders use. Do background checks on everyone you consider.

Do you have a Structural Engineer that specializes in swimming pools near you? The engineering will be the road map to how it will be built, so that part is somewhat "easy". There will be city inspections that will check before you proceed to another step, so that will help keep an eye on things (to an extent).

If you can find top quality trades people, and have some knowledge on what to be looking for, you can do it. You will save money. You will not have one person (a pool builder) to go back to if something arises down the road, and everyone will point fingers if there is a problem, so be aware of that potential. Again, if you get top quality subs, you lessen the chance for that to occur.

Keep asking questions and getting educated. Let us see the progress pictures as you go, and then the final product when you are up and running!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Could save even more money by doing everything yourself instead of hiring out.

8. Back To Top    #8

15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

9. Back To Top    #9

Since you mentioned cost as a primary factor, I'd suggest a vinyl liner pool kit. I've built a couple, and if you're handy with tools, it should be no problem. I hired an excavation contractor both times to lay out and dig the hole. If dug properly, installation is very straightforward. Set the walls, concrete bond beam, plumbing, coping, hang liner. First time around, I got pressure-treated plywood and built the walls (16x32 rectangle). After 25 years, the pool is still in use. Current pool is steel wall 16x28 kidney. Search online for kit prices. Best of luck!
    Larry
    16x28 vinyl inground kidney, 1HP pump, sand filter, Compupool SWG, 11K gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by britinusa

If he reads that whole thread he will be too old to start in on his own!

But Mats is an amazing craftsman eh?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Hey, tonyturner, are you out there?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School