Central Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I am using Borax and Baking soda, but have not yet gone over to bleach. I have visions of being buried in plastic bottles and chasing the FC level every night. Right now I am using the 3 inch trichlor pucks (weekly) and understand the drawbacks. I shock once a week as needed with powder shock.

For my size pool, on average .. how much bleach should I expect to go through per day or week?. I know its a rough guess. I am trying to get a feel for if I want to make the leap. How many bottles do people need to keep on hand. ?

Again, just trying to get a ballpark of what to expect?

Thanks.

im the opposite as u..LOL..the 2 B's you use i dont..... i guess my water has stabalized itself.... the B that i use is of course is bleach.... my pool is smaller than yours but on average i put in a half gallon a day.... they sell liquid chlorine dispencers if you are interested..... those pucks really screwed me over. i swiched to regular bleach this year and will never go back...... you really only need to shock when you combined chlorine gets above 1ppm. HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR CYA....your using powdered chlorine and trichlor pucks i bet your cya is out of the roof..... i like to buy about 15 gallons (about $21) at a time so i have enough on hand when i need to shock ( wich is rarely)!!!!

Rsharp makes a good point...adding shock (really your not shocking, just adding chlorine, and shock is a process) weekly is not needed as long as your maintaining adequate FC levels. The key to using pucks is knowing what effect it has on your water, and you'll need a good test kit to stay on top of it. It is possible to keep using pucks, but you may be faced with having to reduce CYA at some future date.

richmgreen said:
I am using Borax and Baking soda, but have not yet gone over to bleach. I have visions of being buried in plastic bottles and chasing the FC level every night. Right now I am using the 3 inch trichlor pucks (weekly) and understand the drawbacks. I shock once a week as needed with powder shock.

For my size pool, on average .. how much bleach should I expect to go through per day or week?. I know its a rough guess. I am trying to get a feel for if I want to make the leap. How many bottles do people need to keep on hand. ?

Thanks.
I use approximately 1 qt of 12% per day. My pool is 16000 gallons. If you get the same sun and usage as I, you'll use about 1½ qts/day. If you use 6% bleach from walmart or wherever, close to a 3 qts.

I found a pool store near me that sells the 12% in returnable jugs. No more filling the garbage can.

What, Connecticut does not recycle plastic??

The TFP method is not really using the BBB ingredients, it is about testing accurately and adding what the pool needs, no more no less. I use mostly bleach, except I also use pucks and cal-hypo when I test and see that those extra things added by them are needed.

It is likely that you are going to use 2ppm of chlorine a day, give or take some, maybe 1.5 maybe 3. Given your latitude and likely temperatures, you may use less than 2 ppm a day, depending on how clean you keep the pool and usage. I think that kids and dogs use up a lot of chlorine.

Assuming 2 ppm a day, using Pool Calculator and inputting 26,000 gallons and FC 1 now to FC 3 goal you should add 108 oz 6% bleach a day (= 3 Qts + 2 cups) or 1 cup 1 oz 73% cal-hypo or 7.6 oz a day of trichlor (one puck may be 7 oz.). If you used a bit less than 2 ppm a day you might find that 1/2 a big jug (182 oz) daily or one full jug every other day was just perfect.

If you are using 3 pucks a week and 1 lb 74% cal-hypo and all is well, then you may be just under 2 ppm a day usage. That "shock" may be dichlor or cal-hypo or some combination of things possibly including copper...or if Liquid shock then it adds nothing but super strength bleach, you need to read the label to see what other things it adds. Pucks will add 14 CYA per week at the rate you are using, assuming dichlor pucks at 7 oz each. I can't say what the "shock" adds, if dichlor at 1 lb per week that adds another 3 CYA. Over a 12 week swim season you are up an additional 204 CYA over the starting value ignoring any water overflowing in rain or splashout replacement or backwash water lost.

I don't know what sort of water you start with but this CYA addition will add to whatever was in the pool at the start. It may be that you take on a lot of snow or rain in the winter that the pool is totally diluted by opening. Or maybe you replace a lot of water with backwashing. If you start fresh or nearly so, and drain and replace about half the pool volume one way or another (excluding evaporation which just concentrates what is left in the pool) then you could be OK over the season.

My pool is 24K gallons. I have a lot of wind that carries in leaves, dust, silt much of the time. Plus three of my five dogs, 2 large, one GIANT are in and out of the pool much of the day. (virtually all leaves and bugs are captured by the Pool Skim but I don't empty it daily unless it is in the fall, so those organics, in the Pool Skim bag, are consuming some chlorine.) I run the pump pretty slowly 21/7, and vacuum cleaner, high speed 2-3 hours a day during that 21/7. There are three one hour periods when pump doesn't run to give the filter media a "rest". Sun pretty fierce here in Texas. And summer temps are frequently near, at, or above 100 F. I like to keep CYA 50-60.

I, typically, use a 182 oz jug of 6% bleach every other day and like to keep my FC above the bottom of my range or 4-8 ppm.

I squash the bottles with my foot so they take up less space in the recycle bags. Hint: squash top first or you foot will get stuck in the bottom part is you squash bottom first.

I would like to start using the 8 gallon chlorine Liquidator, and find a source for 12% chlorine, and, hopefully, one that will refill containers. I have to drive my recycle (and trash) up to the road for weekly pickup. I don't take it every week but hide it in big clear plastic garbage bags (we don't have the municipal furnished big recycle bins like many cities provide). We rinse out other recyclables (not paper or card board which goes in different container) so critters don't bother it. Same with garbage but we put a lot of "garbage" in the compost, and freeze meat and bones or messy, non-recyclable or non-compostable things, until it goes down to garbage. This way our trash compactor doesn't get smelly or messy and we can go over a week without taking it down to trash. Personal wips, other bathroom refuge goes into a separate trash barrel in garage until I take garbage to road. All the trash then goes into a huge bin that I hide in the woods until pickup day to keep any critters out of it. It's too big and heavy to fit in my car.

gg=alice

richmgreen said:

Thanks.
If you verify your daily FC demand with routine testing, the pool calculator will tell you approximately how much bleach would be required to maintain it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.