This is the pump - what is the GPM?

Jul 1, 2010
Hi All,

I recently bought a house with a large pool (40k+ gal) and have been told that I need to cycle the water through the filter at least twice a day. However, to determine how long to run the filter I have to know how much water the pump will circulate and the label on the pump doesn't say. I've spent hours searching for that piece of information on the internet and finally came here. I've attached a photo of the pump label in the hopes that somebody will know from looking at it what the GPM rating is.

Thanks a million!

John

Attachments

• PumpLabel.jpg
    PumpLabel.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 89
We need the entire view of the pump. You are showing important info though. It's a 1-1/2 horse power pump. Max on these is usually about 100 GPM in down hill conditions with a strong wind at it's back. A more frequent set of ranges are from 50 to 80 GPM.

Scott

I'd bet on 75 to figure the run time and then add a couple of hours to start. You can always cut it back some if the water stays clear and clean enough to suit you. If the pool is in full sun all day, you'll need more run time anyhow.
Where ya' located? Add a sig line in control panel to your post so we know your setup at a glance.

You can check around at some of the industrial valve / piping businesses locally and see if they have a Pitot flowmeter that you could borrow for a while .. I know they make some for PVC pipe that you just drill a hole and place the meter on top of and clamp it down to the pipe. With my 1.5 hp above ground pump I am at about 62-68 gpm depending on the flow restrictions in the filter.

I have to agree, that is an old school system. The previous owners of the pool knew how to take care of it or this would have been gone by now. I am impressed

If the distance from the pad to the pool is less than 30', I would say, making a semi educated guess of about 65 GPM with a clean filter. I'm too lazy tonight to look up the friction loss.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.