Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This is the pump - what is the GPM?

1. Back To Top    #1

This is the pump - what is the GPM?

Hi All,

I recently bought a house with a large pool (40k+ gal) and have been told that I need to cycle the water through the filter at least twice a day. However, to determine how long to run the filter I have to know how much water the pump will circulate and the label on the pump doesn't say. I've spent hours searching for that piece of information on the internet and finally came here. I've attached a photo of the pump label in the hopes that somebody will know from looking at it what the GPM rating is.

Thanks a million!

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex 15' x 48" Metal-Frame
    Intex 637R cartridge filter assembly

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This is the pump - what is the GPM?

We need the entire view of the pump. You are showing important info though. It's a 1-1/2 horse power pump. Max on these is usually about 100 GPM in down hill conditions with a strong wind at it's back. A more frequent set of ranges are from 50 to 80 GPM.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the help! Here are pictures of the whole thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex 15' x 48" Metal-Frame
    Intex 637R cartridge filter assembly

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Wow! Look at that copper! Finally, there is something on this forum older than me!!

Sorry for the irrelevant post, John.

Welcome to the forum.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd bet on 75 to figure the run time and then add a couple of hours to start. You can always cut it back some if the water stays clear and clean enough to suit you. If the pool is in full sun all day, you'll need more run time anyhow.
    Where ya' located? Add a sig line in control panel to your post so we know your setup at a glance.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

You can check around at some of the industrial valve / piping businesses locally and see if they have a Pitot flowmeter that you could borrow for a while .. I know they make some for PVC pipe that you just drill a hole and place the meter on top of and clamp it down to the pipe. With my 1.5 hp above ground pump I am at about 62-68 gpm depending on the flow restrictions in the filter.
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

7. Back To Top    #7

I have to agree, that is an old school system. The previous owners of the pool knew how to take care of it or this would have been gone by now. I am impressed

If the distance from the pad to the pool is less than 30', I would say, making a semi educated guess of about 65 GPM with a clean filter. I'm too lazy tonight to look up the friction loss.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.