Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water our of return when I hook up Vacuum

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water our of return when I hook up Vacuum

Hey guys,

I have a sand filter and when I hook up my vacuum white cloudy water shoots out of my return. It does not come out white and cloudy when the vacuum is not hooked up.

Any idea what might cause this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water our of return when I hook up Vacuum

Sounds like whatever is on the bottom needs to be vacuumed to waste as it is too fine for the filter.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

We were using Power Chlor which are granules that we put right in the skimmer.

The FC wasn't moving. What are the chances the granules somehow got stuck in the filter and maybe this is what the white cloudy water is?

4. Back To Top    #4

I took a video...

Anyone have any idea?

I'm thinking about taking the sand out of my filter and putting new sand in.

[youtube:3jau3o09]fwK6EwOmHKU[/youtube:3jau3o09]

5. Back To Top    #5

Vacuum it to waste. Be done with it. If it comes back, then we can investigate it further.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Vacuumed to waste and it's still doing it.

7. Back To Top    #7

The white cloudiness might be millions of tiny bubbles. If so, you should be able to see them slowly floating to the surface and popping if you look closely.

If it is indeed bubbles, it is caused by the added flow restriction of the vacuum hose increasing the suction on the intake side of the pump, which in turn is drawing air into the water. This can be caused by a hole in the vacuum hose, or a lose lid on the pump strainer basket.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School