Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to BBB, pool is clear, requires 2ppm ever day - algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

New to BBB, pool is clear, requires 2ppm ever day - algae?

Recently converted BBB pool is clear, but requires 2ppm every day. Still have algae?

Hi,

I moved to bleach recently but will not get a good test kit until late this summer. Previous years, I used to maintain 3-6ppm (targetting 4) with pucks in a chlorinator and OTO, fighting algea oubreaks (green all over) 4-5 times a season, usually after a short dip at or below 2 ppm when my chlorionator was empty and the solar cover was on for 3 days of no swimming. I usually recovered using Cal-Hypo powder, lots of brusing and vaccuuming. This year, after discovering this site and reading a lot, I realize that I probably had too much CYA or more precisely, never enough FC to compeletely kill algae and was always on the verge of an outbreak.

It's been a week since using only bleach and strips for measuring FC, PH, and TA (I also have CYA on one set of srtips)
    My water has been really clear for 3 days, and I vaccumed the last few deposits of what seemed to be dead algae/dust on the walls and bottom, from the last outbreak 10 days ago. I was still at shock level (10ppm) 4 days ago, and overnight FC drops are at 2ppm (raise to 5 at night, measure 3 in the morning)

Here are my numbers and then the questions:

FC 3
    PH 7.7 (overdid correction after last heavy rain brought it to 6.8)
    TA 80
    CYA 50 (pool store said 60, strips says 40)
    Borate 5 (from qty added, not tested yet)

Is a nightly drop of 2ppm a sign that I am still battling something in my pool?
    Do we really aim for 0ppm drop during the night? if not what value is acceptable?
    Should I shock again?
    At CYA 50, suggested Fc is at 4-8 ppm. Mid-point is 6 and seems high to me (wife looking over shoulder will notice the high value). Comments?

Thanks
    24k gallons, 16x32 ig vinyl. Jacuzzi 1.5 HP Magnum with Hayward sand filter. Newly added homemade solar heater with electronic controler. Switched to BBB June 2010. Adding borates...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to BBB, pool is clear, requires 2ppm ever day - algae?

2 ppm every day is normal. 2 ppm overnight is too high - something is consuming the chlorine, and it's not the UV light from the sun! Sounds like shocking is in order.

6 ppm in straight water is too high. 6 ppm with 50 ppm CYA binding to it is equal to much lower, perhaps 1 ppm in straight water. Certainly lower than your tap water if you're on a municipal water system!

I understand there are difficulties getting a decent test kit in Canada, but it really is essential that you get accurate readings. Don't you know anyone planning a trip to the states who may be visiting relatives? You could have a kit shipped to them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Keeping the FC @ 10% or so of the CYA is the general rule of thumb. This is why watching CYA levels are important.

Do you have any CC? A greater than .5 reading would indicate a battle.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I understand there are difficulties getting a decent test kit in Canada, but it really is essential that you get accurate readings. Don't you know anyone planning a trip to the states who may be visiting relatives? You could have a kit shipped to them.
    Wanted to keep my original post short so I actually erased my comment on test kit availability and price here. Don't get me started on this... I will travel later this summer and pick one up. Can I have it delivered to Disney world, you think?

Until then, what I do for reading TC in the 5-10 range is use my OTO, sometimes diluting 1:1 with spring water and double the value, or just put 2 drops and multiply my result by 2.5. Real precise... at least I'm good with math.

Thanks
    24k gallons, 16x32 ig vinyl. Jacuzzi 1.5 HP Magnum with Hayward sand filter. Newly added homemade solar heater with electronic controler. Switched to BBB June 2010. Adding borates...