New to BBB - First Results

Drained about 20 inches of water (~6400) to lower the CYA from 65-70.

pH: 7.6
FC: 4
CC: 0.5
TC: 4.5
TA: 100
CH: 140
CYA: 40

I still need to put about 3-4 inches of water in the pool, but it was close to midnight. I know I need to re-test it in the morning (in the daylight) after I finish topping of the pool, but I wanted to know how the results look. I assume that I will need to boost up the chlorine after I check the CYA in the natural daylight.

Hey, Flash,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Good to have another North Carolinian here. The Texans still outnumber us but we keep gainin' on 'em!! :lol: :lol:

How does your water look?

Finished topping off the pool with water at about 9:00 am and tested.
pH = 7.6
FC = 4.5
CC = 0
TC = 4.5
TA = 95
CH = 135
CYA = 40 (little below the 40 line)

added 3 qts 2 cups bleach and the FC was 7. The pool was cloudy/hazy in the deep end and some algae or dirt had accumulated in spots on the bottom of the shallow end. I brushed the entire pool. I don't know if it matters or not, but when I was brushing, it didn't have a green tint. It just looked like dirt.

From noon to about 6:00 pm the pool had probably 10 - 12 users, including 8 kids. Tested again at about 7 pm.
pH = 7.6
FC = 4.5
CC = 0.5 (just a hint of pink. 1/2 of a drop would have probably turned the solution clear again)
TC = 5
TA = 90
CH = 130
CYA = 40 (about the same as the morning test, so at least I am consistent)

Brushed again, then added 4 gallons bleach to shock (just in case if it is algae instead of dirt). Regardless, I need to find a better vacuum head.

Last night I performed an overnight FC test.
pH = 7.6
FC = 10 @ 9pm, FC = 10 @ 6am
CC = 0.5 (a hint of pink before 1 drop)
TC = 10.5
TA = 90
CH = 130
CYA = 40 (under 40 line - about ~41-42)

so I should not have algae, correct?
The pool is still hazy (but I can see the drain), gets cloudier through the day, and it looks like some algae is growing on spots on the bottom of the liner. I have not shocked as in pool school (we have lots of swimmers thru the day, so I didn't want to put chemicals in the pool while people swimming), but I have boosted FC to 16-18 each night and brushed every day.

The my CYA measurements have been pretty consistent. I don't think that I am that off (even if CYA = 90, target FC = 10 should be ok?).

Tonight:
pH = 7.5
FC = 6.5
CC = 0.5
TC = 7
TA = 100
CH = 130
CYA = 40 (about the same)

Added bleach to FC = 19.
Maybe when people go back to work, I can go a real shock.

Maybe when people go back to work, I can go a real shock.
I don't think you'll need to. Since your overnight FC loss was successful, it appears to me you have killed all the algae and are now just waiting on your filtration system to do it's job of cleaning up the remaining cloudiness/dead algae.

If it were me, I think I would simply hold chlorine a little higher than normal (say around 6-8ppm) and brush and/or stir up that bottom cloudiness to filter it out.

I didn't notice if you've backwashed recently. Does you filter pressure indicate the need?

The pressure gauge usually runs at about 12 - 13. It went up to 15 and I backwashed. I vacuumed to waste when I see a lot of sediment. I was always told that the sand filter does not always filter out dead algea.

I changed the returns to try get better circulation.

The pool looks alot of better today. FC = 15 at 10am. If it start getting hazy in the middle of the afternoon, I'll add some chlorine.

In the Chlorine/CYA Chart - If the Target FC the amount that you should have in the morning, or is it the amount that you should at the evening. I guess it depends on the swimmer load?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.