Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swimming in a pool with algae and no chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Swimming in a pool with algae and no chlorine

I finally got time to try to open my pool this year, it had been closed for the whole 2 years that I have owned the house, and I have no clue how many years before I bought it. So needless to say the pool was very dark green with a ton of leaves, twigs, pine needles, and who knows what else on the bottom of the pool. I leaf raked a ton of this stuff out, and when it started getting to the point where I wasn't getting much more in my leaf rake, I decided that I would dare to enter the pool. The first time I got in, I was only in there for around 30 minutes, and I seemed just fine when I got out. I took a shower within 10 minutes of getting out. But, on the second time of entering the pool, I spent probably close to 2 hours in the pool trying to rake every last bit of debris out that I could get. Within 2 minutes of getting out of the pool, my legs began itching like crazy. I took a hot shower again within 10 minutes of getting out, and I had to scrub my legs over and over in the shower. I was just wondering if someone could tell me what likely caused the severe itching after getting out of the pool? Just curious.
    Thanks for your insight!!!
    17100 gallon 27' Round 4' Deep Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter 1 HP pump 50 GPM flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swimming in a pool with algae and no chlorine

I'll guess it is pH out of range. Lots of leaves can lead to acidic water. Or maybe pH is too low, it may depend on the TA of the water as to which way it would go over time. Or it may be bacterial.

A good test kit can define the pH and TA, not sure about bacteria levels if that is an issue. Getting the chlorine level up to a proper range will fix that one. Can you give us good test numbers yet?

Of course, you need to get circulation going and the filter going and cleaned.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh yeah, I've been keeping my pool at or near shock lever for a week now, running filter 24/7, following pool school, pool calculator, and all other instructions from forum members. I was just curious what was making me itch.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by silver02gt
    Oh yeah, I've been keeping my pool at or near shock lever for a week now, running filter 24/7, following pool school, pool calculator, and all other instructions from forum members. I was just curious what was making me itch.
    Well then, post the numbers you have and maybe someone will see is something.

They say that it is safe to swim at or below shock level but if CC is high perhaps that is the problem.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

When I got in, the were probably no cc's because there had been no FC for years. lol, I was mainly wondering if anyone else had experienced this or knew if it was algae causing my itching or something else. The itching went right away after scrubbing down in a nice, hot shower, but it's just my curiousity has gotten the best of me!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not sure what it would be other than pH. I had to get in my murky, green pool last year to brush it and now I get creeped out just thinking about it. That had to be really creepy for you, I would think. It makes me so glad to have found TFP and gives me a strong incentive to keep my pool from ever getting like that again. Congratulations on your soon-to-be successful clean-up.
    17,000 gal. 28 ft. round AG doughboy, about 15 years old. 1.5HP Hayward pump, Doughboy Silica II filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the confidence!!! I didn't really think it was too bad, that is until I was itching like crazy! Then I got a little freaked out!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

The itching is probably caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Yuck, if that's what it was, I'm really glad I never got any pus-filled blisters!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Please don't get into stagnant water like that!!! There is no telling what could be living in there. I could give you a clue as to what potential life forms like those places, but then you wouldn't go to sleep at night.

11. Back To Top    #11

Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Please don't get into stagnant water like that!!! There is no telling what could be living in there. I could give you a clue as to what potential life forms like those places, but then you wouldn't go to sleep at night.
    [attachment=0:3u6n0ivr]creature-head-full.jpg[/attachment:3u6n0ivr]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Oh no, I thought I kept feeling something grabbing at my leg!!! And thought I even had a bite mark! I really hope I don't turn into that, or maybe that would be sorta neat!! lol