Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deionized water - where to find it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Deionized water - where to find it?

Hey all

I got a salt tester that needs be rinsed with deionized water before calibrating it(Tracer brand, if that matters). I can't find deionized water

Does anyone know what else it would be used for or where to start looking for it?

It also needs to be rinsed with distilled water after every use, but I've got gallons of that (my wife has sleep apnea and has to use it in her CPAP machine).

If all else fails, how do I get the d*mned ions out of water?

Thanks
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deionized water - where to find it?

Call the chemistry department at the local college. Hopefully, they're open for summer school. Once you explain the situation, I bet they'd be happy to fill a bottle for you, or more likely, ask you to bring the tester down so they can play with it, too. My science teachers were always looking for real-world applications of what they were teaching.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Richard!

I just want to mention that you are a great member/ contributor here

Keep up the good work!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

I read an article in the LA times about de-ionized water as a cleaning agent. I can't find the article but I did find this from Google...

Deionized water is a type of purified water with mineral ions (salts) removed. These mineral ions include sodium, calcium, iron, copper, chloride, and bromide. Deionized water is created by taking conventional water and exposing it to electrically charged resins that attract and bind to the salts, removing them from the water. Because most of the impurities in water are mineral salts, deionized water is mostly pure, but it does still contain numerous bacteria and viruses, which have no charge and therefore are not attracted to the electrified resins.

Despite its uselessness for improving health, deionized water has many applications, most of them scientific or industrial. Deionized water is used extensively in microbiology experiments as a medium. This deionized water is also cooked in an autoclave prior to use, which kills off all bacteria or viruses therein. It is used to top up lead acid batteries used in cars and trucks, as mineral ions found in tap water drastically reduce their lifespan. It is used for steam irons used on clothing, ensuring well-ironed clothes without any chance of mineral residue. Deionized water is also used as a medium or additive in many pharmaceutical or cosmetic products, desired for its low chemical reactivity.

Here's a link for where you can purchase it...

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/produ ... 41179&pfx=

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmm, sounds like distilled water, available in most super markets, to me.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Deionized is not the same as distilled water. The distillation process does not remove all ionic salts, just a majority of them. To be truly deionized, the distilled water needs to be run through a resin bed to remove the remaining impurities.

Waste - did you check with your local pharmacies? I am pretty sure they need di water for some of the preparations they make.
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

7. Back To Top    #7

I also would recommend asking the local university chemistry lab for some. Once you get it and calibrate your device, you can check it against the distilled water you have. GOOD distilled water will be very similar.

You can tell the difference between good and not so good distilled water using a conductivity meter if you have one. Cheap device. Better water reads closer to zero.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

8. Back To Top    #8

Taylor R-0833, available in various sizes.