New AG pool - chlorine is zero and water murky

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
jenpatty said:
I am a new pool owner that let the chlorine get to 0. Even using poolcalculator.com to figure out how much of what to add. Here are my test results

ph 7.8
chlorine 0
cya 0
alkalinity 200 ppm
hardiness 300 ppm

about two weeks ago I shocked the pool after a heavy rain and added granule chlorine. I put the chlorine tablet in the floater and I thought that was all I had to do. Since then i have been fighting to get the layer of powdery stuff off the bottom of the pool. I used the vacuum that came with the pool but all it does is make the pool cloudier. it definately is not a clear pool. I can see to the bottom but it is murky.

It sounds from your description in your PM that you have an Intex pool. It's very difficult to clear those types of pools with the filter system they come with, once there is a problem.

You do have the option of draining and starting over, since you listed your gallonage at 4,400. If you would rather try to clear it - it may take a while...

What are you testing with?
What was in the granular chlorine you added (the active ingredient)?

You need to get your PH down to 7.2-7.4 and then shock the pool with liquid chlorine. Are you able to figure out how to use the Pool Calculator?

Your best bet for getting rid of the murkiness once your FC is holding is to keep hosing off the cartridge daily and changing it weekly with a new one.

Have you read this article?:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

thanks for responding so quickly.
i just started using the 6 way tester from wal mart. the active ingredient in the chlorine is calcium hypochlorite at 47.6 %.
i bought bleach but can not figure out how to use pool calculator to know how much to put in. should i buy ph minus or is there an easier way to lower ph.

hooray!!! i just figured out how to use the pool calculator, now i just need to keep at these pool problems. i tend to get nervous about what to do so i do nothing. My son wants to swim so i need to keep trying. This is definately the best site for answers.

Since you've learned to use Pool Calc you can add enough Cal-Hypo to bring your FC up. I'd quit using Cal-Hypo soon though with a CH of 300 you're soon going to be in the scaling range. If your CYA is really zero you could use trichlor tablets to bring that up.

You also need to bring your pH down. I'd bring ti down to 7.2 which will also bring oyur TA down. We recommend Muriatic acid but if you're leary of using it you can use dry acid.

seriously, drain the pool and refill it.
If you have an intex pool you are going to drive yourself insane trying to clear it.
LIke hotpoolmom, i mean frustratedpoolmom said, the filter system isnt all that great on those pools, and your going to put in so much effort and chemicals and still not be happy.

options

1. Drain, refill, balance chemistry, SWIM AND ENJOY THE POOL :goodjob:
2. Add bleach, run filter, clean filter, add bleach, cry, pull out your hair, add bleach, tell your son he has to swim in the bathtub instead.
3. pick up large object, throw it at pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.