Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding liquid chlorine creates white milky cloud- abnormal?

1. Back To Top    #1

adding liquid chlorine creates white milky cloud- abnormal?

When I add liquid chlorine to my pool there is a milky white cloud that appears and then dissipates within 15mins. Is this normal or should it still be as clear as it was before adding liquid chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: adding liquid chlorine creates white milky cloud- abnormal?

I see the same "reaction" and would also like to know if this is normal.
    18x36 IG, 26700, Vinyl, DE

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Posting test results may give us some clues as to what's causing it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Appears all over the pool, or just where you are pouring it in? How much time are you taking to add a half gallon or a gallon at a time? What kind of pool or other chemical numbers?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Usually that means that some combination of your PH, TA, and/or CH levels are too high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a 25000 gallon pool and its inground plaster. I add the liquid chlorine all at once right over the pool return nozzles. normally two jugs of 6% 182oz at a time. A white milky cloud forms and follows the route of the pool return water. It dissipates around 15 minutes and is clear again. If I add around 6 jugs the cloud will run along the route of the pool return and also along the bottom of the pool. I have the skimmers and the drain sucking right now. You can see my previous posts of all my levels at :

strange-results-while-i-shock-a-crystal-sparkling-green-pool-t23445.html

Thanks lion, I will check the tests you said again tomorrow morning and post those results.

7. Back To Top    #7

Just a hunch, here...

Bleach is very alkaline. There's probably a lot of calcium or something dissolved in the water. You create localized high pH and whatever it is precipitates out. Then as the cloud disperses, the pH equalizes, and it dissolves into solution again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Hello everyone. I got a chance to test my levels and they are as follows :
    FC : 21ppm
    CC : 0.5ppm
    PH : 7.4
    TA : 190
    CH : 580...can this be correct?
    CYA : 60

Well water CH : 130 - that I've been topping off with after backwashing a few dozen times.

Note : Pool is clear blue. no cloudiness.

When we bought the house the pool was more than 3/4 full of water. In the past six months I don't think I have added anything that would add to the CH, just bleach, polyquat, and some ph minus. Also should I get rid of the floater with the stabilized pucks in them ?

Thanks! Now let's get to the bottom of this milky white cloud.

9. Back To Top    #9

It's the CH. Two yrs ago before BBB I had CH >1000 in my 8000 gal. pool and when I would add 10.5% chlorine my entire pool would turn milky for 24 hrs. The pool store told me it was normal, yeah, right!
    "Broke Down, Busted Up and Outta Gas"

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, so it's the CH. Does the CH or any of the other levels hurt the effectiveness of chlorine. ie. when I see the milky white cloud is something happening to the chlorine, like diluting it or killing off some of it making a CC number register?

11. Back To Top    #11

The chlorine is just fine, but you are at risk for calcium scaling. You should work on lowering your TA level (or CH if that is practical). You don't want TA and CH to both be high at the same time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, I may need some help or assistance from anyone who has done this before. I have a submersible pump if I need to drain the pool. If I need to lower the TA first then how should I go about this. Sorry, but I may need some steps to do this right.

13. Back To Top    #13

You can drain some 1st if your water costs are not too high. If they are...The key is to keep you PH below 7.8 at all times, to avoid scaling. High TA promotes PH rise.

Here is the article from pool school on lowering TA

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...l%20alkalinity

If you plan on replacing some water...do that 1st....then work on adjusting TA
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

Sounds good...is the waterfall from my spa to my pool enough aeration? Or should I add something else into the mix?

Thanks!