Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Pool Calculator

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Pool Calculator

I have a newly re-plastered pool. I add 4.5 lbs or 72 ozs of CYA. The pool calculator with my given pool size shows that an addition of 68 oz required to bring CYA to 30ppm. I test CYA with Taylor kit and get something considerably under 30. Completely filling the vile past the 30 mark... or something less than 30, the dot is still very visible. HMMMM.... Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

JC
    17,000 gallon gunite in ground pool, white traditional plaster
    1 HP Hayward Super II, 48 SQFT Hayward diatomaceous earth filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm Heater 333btu
    Rainbow Chlorinator (on vacation only), Polaris 380, Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 led, Poolmiser Auto-fill

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Pool Calculator

When did you add it? It can take a week to show up in the test.

Other options would be you bought 50% concentration CYA (which has been reported lately) or underestimated pool size.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Three weeks ago. Are you saying that reports are that some products are less strength than the packaging states? I will check the size of pool again, but don't think it could be that far off. I will retest in a few days. I still have the package the CYA came in and will check the label.

Thanks!
    1 HP Hayward Super II, 48 SQFT Hayward diatomaceous earth filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm Heater 333btu
    Rainbow Chlorinator (on vacation only), Polaris 380, Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 led, Poolmiser Auto-fill

4. Back To Top    #4

How did you add the CYA, via the skimmer or in a sock?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

The package said: Add directly to skimmer. I don't usually read or follow instructions well but this time I did ... no sock.

JC

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you backwash or clean the filter anytime in the week following adding CYA? CYA added through the skimmer sits in the filter, where it can take up to a week to dissolve. If you backwashed/cleaned the filter during that period some of the CYA would have been lost.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School