Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Softener?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Softener?

Hi all, learned lots here in 2008 with my first AG pool, now I'm setting it up again after having missed a season (fell off a roof and broke my shoulder/arm last year). I had horrible iron problems last time around (well water) and really hoping to avoid the brown water. My water goes through an oxygen injector, then an iron filter. Last time it also went through a water softener but this year my softener is broken. I'm wondering if that is going to cause me big grief with the pool? The iron filter is good enough that for regular household use I don't need the softener so haven't bothered to get it fixed, simply bypassed it.

What do y'all think? Should I start filling right away or spend the time/money to get the softener fixed first?

Thanks!
    Peter Sherwood

18x48 Bestway (Intex) Easy Set AG
    1500gph cartridge filter pump
    Well water extremely high in iron :(

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Softener?

Perhaps have the fill water tested to see how high the iron count is without the filter?

(on an unrelated note, please check your pms )
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

What about calcium? I think the iron filter removes the bulk of the iron, but I'm not sure if I need the softener to keep the CH down.
    Peter Sherwood

18x48 Bestway (Intex) Easy Set AG
    1500gph cartridge filter pump
    Well water extremely high in iron :(

4. Back To Top    #4

Could be; if there's a pool store near you, you could have them test the fill water. But...if I'm reading this right, you had horrible iron problems 2 years ago, using the iron filter plus water softener? If that's the case, I would expect the exact same thing.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden