Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lens Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Lens Cover

We have a standard white hayward light in the deep end of the under the waterfall. It tends to be excessively bright and annoying when swimming at night. Has anyone used a colored lens cover to tame a bright light. I advocated for a color changing LED light at pool construction, but the wife vetoed it for the cheaper white light.
    Grant and Jerri
    Liberty, NC
    New 18x36 vinyl liner pool with lighting and fountain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lens Cover

Too bad on your veto. I went with the ColorLogic LED (2 - one on each end of the pool) and I love it!! Hopefully the white light isn't facing right at you all the time, but rather coming in off the side. I don't have any advice for you on the colored lenses (although I'll bet they're available), but that option would limit you still to a single color choice. Maybe if you beg enough your wife will let you convert to the LED lights!! I'll be switching mine over to the Fourth of July show (red, white, and blue alternating lights) this coming weekend!!
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Polaris 360 pool cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

North Central Texas

Re: Lens Cover

I tried using lens covers for about 20 years. They get knocked off by Polaris. So I kept replacing them, over and over and over. I, now, am using an Aquabot and a Pool Cleaner but I don't know if the lens cover would stay on with these two cleaners. Probably not for the Aquabot.

You can try one, if you can find one in a single. I had to purchase them in sets several times. The blue is really nice and does tame the bright "railroad train" sharp beam of light. My incandescent was a 500 watt before I changed it out for a ColorSplash LED, color changing. I want to reiterate that the lens cover did help a whole lot.

See if you can find one only, for one light, and try it out. I think the determining factor will be if you want to leave it on all the time, as I wanted, and if your pool cleaner will "leave" it alone.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine