Dirty Filter Plumbing Questions

jshbkr

Mar 24, 2010
Hello

I have been having a tough time keeping my pool clean and have determined the filter is exceptionally dirty. So I have begun a super chlorinate and backwashing procedure for the next couple days. I have a question pertaining to backwashing:

My filter plumbing does not have a rinse option to my knowledge and after backwashing I will see dirt flow into the pool from the returns. My initial thought is to let the sand settle for about 20min before turning on the pumb for filtration. I do have a waste valve inbetween the pool return and filter. So I could close the return and open the waste to rinse, but the pressure would rise greatly in my opinion if this was done. Any suggestions?

Also for backwashing I will backwash for maybe 3min at first then turn the pump off and on for maybe 30 sec or so at a time to disturb the sand... i even put my hand inside when off to stir up the sand. any other suggestions. I am backwashing couple times a day for a little bit even if the pressure is good.

Thanks for any help!

I do see dirt in the return even with good pressure after backwash, so to reduce this i'm thinking to backwash multiple times to clear. the sand probably needs to be changed, but it's a rental that I will NOT stay in long, so i don't want the hassle. when i grap a handfull of sand from the filter there is other depree than sand and I saw what looked like some green (algae?) growth. the pool is green now again after clearing before... probably from not killing all the algae. how about dumping liquid chlorine in the filter and letting it set for a bit. when super chlorinating i will add chlorine to the skimmer and around the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.