Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What makes CH climb?

1. Back To Top    #1

What makes CH climb?

What makes the CH climb in a BBB pool and will it ever stop?
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What makes CH climb?

CH will rise if you add products with calcium such as cal-hypo.
    CH rise through normal evaporation and water replacement if your fill water has high calcium.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Guess I should have added more information. I have a SWG, so my chlorine comes from that. I do not have a lot of calcium in my supply water, maybe about 150 ppm or so. My pool is new though and is a pebble finish. Could this be it?
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    How to shock your pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, the curing of plaster will add calcium hydroxide to the pool which will not only increase pH, but CH as well.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Any idea about how long this curing process can take?
    Carlos
    How to shock your pool

6. Back To Top    #6

The first weeks to month are the fastest, but it keeps curing at a possibly noticeable rate for 6 months to a year. After that, it's usually not that noticeable though it still technically cures very slowly.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

CH of 150 in your fill water is significant. No calcium is ever lost through evaporation. Then, when you top off the water level, you are adding new CH. Unless you never add water to the pool, the CH level will continue going up every time you add water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Not what I wanted to hear . So at some point, maybe CH 600 ppm, I am going to have to start diluting the water by drain and fill? Is this normal maintenance to have to reduce CH every once in a while?
    Carlos
    How to shock your pool

9. Back To Top    #9

Once the curing slows down, with fill water CH of 150, it would take 3 full pool volume evaporations for your CH to rise that much...your talking maybe 4-5 years and even CH of 600 is manageable, as long as you keep your PH below 7.8 at all times.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator