Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To raise Ph or not???

1. Back To Top    #1

To raise Ph or not???

First of all I would like to thank TFP for all the advise you give my pool looks better than it ever has!!

Now just a quick question. My ph is 6.8 with a TA of 120. My CYA is 100 but it is coming down slowly but anyway should I add borax to raise my PH with the TA of 120 or should I just leave it alone and keep waiting for it to raise on its own?
    24' round AG pool, 52" high,; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter & 100 lb Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To raise Ph or not???

If you have a method to aerate it will help get it up faster without the borax, but I wouldn't worry about the small rise in TA from the borax. Just don't add more than you need and overshoot your pH target (7.2). How did it get so low?
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

You should raise it. Your pH may be lower than 6.8, and you just can't tell, since your test kit shows anything lower than 6.8 as 6.8.

Calculate the borax dosage to go from 6.8 to 7.4, add it, then retest and repeat. If your pH is much lower than 6.8, it may take a few iterations.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Really not sure how my PH got so low probably all the pucks that were used in the last 4 yrs. Gonna add the borax i got on hand and will get some more at store. Thanks for the help.
    24' round AG pool, 52" high,; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter & 100 lb Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, pucks will do that if you don't keep on top of it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden