Using SWG rated for your pool size. Opinions wanted.

Jun 2, 2010
Most people suggest using a SWG with a cell output far above your pools actual size (in gallons). I was hoping to get opinions from people who installed an SWG w/output close to thier pools size and their experience. Most SWG manufactuers rate their output at 24hr pump run time w/cell at 100%. Is this what you are seeing "in the real world"

I am considering an Aqua Trol, (for ease of installation) on an AGP w/17,100 gallons. It's supposed to sanitize pools upto 18k gallons.

I really don't think that operating so close to the pool size is a good idea. Several factors will be working against you. When the company puts out those numbers it is like you said, running 24 hours a day at 100%. This is not practical. For one, you will spend a lot of money running your pool 24 hours a day, everyday. Running at 100% may not always give you the needed amount of chlorine in all cases. Also, running the cell at full blast everyday is going to burn the cell up pretty quickly.

I have a 28,000 gallon pool and my cell is rated for 40,000 gallons (Intellichlor IC40). I run my filter 10 hours a day at 80% to keep the chlorine at between 3.5 to 7 ppm. I do live in Florida where the sun is pretty brutal.

The idea I think is to operate well within the cell's range to allow room for adjustment and to preserve cell life. Operating at the extreme may work, or it may not, and the only way to find out is to install it and at that point it is too late if the cell is too small.

I agree. My pool sits in the 14-15k range and we have a 40K cell. My pump runs 12hrs per day and the cell at only 10% to stay crystal clear. I should hope to expect to get many years from this cell. The standard Aqua Rite is just not that hard to install for it to be a sole reason to avoid it.

Here is what I've found...

I have a CompuPool SWG sized for 24,000 gallons and my pool is half that size at 12k gallons.

I keep CYA around 80.

In the winter when temps are low, the sun is low and not directly hitting the pool much, and swimming is usually confined to the hot tub - I run my pump 4 hrs with the SWG set at 40% to keep a constant CL level.

In the summer when water temps are around 92-94, sun is hitting the pool directly for most of the day, and someone is in the pool daily - I run my pump 6 hrs with the SWG set at 100% to keep a constant CL level. On the weekends when the pool is used many more hours and by more kids than normal, I'll run the pump (and SWG @ 100%) a couple extra hours on Saturday and Sunday so that CL does not drop. I have a remote spring timer switch so can easily run my pump a few hours without having to set trippers on the mechanical timer.

I am really glad I did not go with the smaller rated SWG.

The pump and SWG both get hard wired into the timer on the same posts/connections, the timer plugs into your electrical panel. My DH and I did this ourselves and our pump started out with a standard plugin on it, so had to be re-wired. It took less than an hour and that included a small trench because the timer and SWG controler were on a post 6' away from the electrical and I didn't want anything above ground to trip on -

Goldline (maker of the Aqua Rite products) was bought out by and is a subsidiary of Hayward. My guess is, other than some minor features, functions or cosmetic differences, yes, virtually the same.

I have a post with 2 twistlock outlets on it. Can I put a twistlock cord/plug on the Aquarite, plug that into one free outlet, plug my pump into my timer, then the timer into the other outlet? The Aquarite would be on all the time but only generating with the flow switch is on....right?

I don't think the SWG can be on without flow, actually I am confident that you cannot. Mine shuts offwhen the pump is not running. Otherwise you will be building a large amount of chlorine in the line which will damage the SWG and possibly other components. Should be wired with the pump.

Ideally, you want the SWG turned off any time the pump is off. The flow switch will shut the unit off when there isn't flow, however flow switches are not especially reliable. Should the flow switch fail on, there could be an explosion. So it is always nice to have something backing up the flow switch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right now, I have service running from my breaker panel in my house out to the pool pad terminating with 2 twistlock outlets. What kind of timer would I need? I have a Intermatic twistlock (P1131??) for the pump now. Is there a timer that I can plug both (pump/aquarite) into that would plug into the twistlock outlet?

The AR control panel does not come with a cord/plug - you have to purchase and wire it directly into the timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.