FC 0
    TC 0
    PH 6.8
    TA 20
    Calcium Hardness 200
    TDS 400
    CYA 0
    Water is cloudy.

trying to put my limited knowledge to work here since joining TFP. Should she start by getting the CYA up. Until that happens the chlorine will just not hold at all. Than shock to get FC up and eliminate CC if there ... than balance PH and TA?
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Just opened

Start with TA; get it up to maybe 80. That will help get pH in line too. Once TA and pH are in range, you can start shocking and add CYA at the same time.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

i dont think there is a specific order. i would add the propper amount of cya first since it could take a few days for it to disolve. from this site ive heard that chlorine works the best when the Ph is in propper range. since the Alk. buffers the Ph i would get the Alk. in order first. Then get the Ph to around 7.5.. now i would bring the chlorine up to shock level. kepp it there until you do an "overnight free chlorine loss test". test the FC level b/f you go to sleep and when you wake up test again. if u lost more than 1ppm then u need to keep shocking... this sounds like a start to me!
    24' X 52" round above ground pool---13,500 gallons---Hayward power flow matrix 1.5 hp pump---Hayward 21 in. variflow XL sandfilter---Louisville, Ky

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Start with TA; get it up to maybe 80. That will help get pH in line too. Once TA and pH are in range, you can start shocking and add CYA at the same time.
    Yep, I agree. Adjust TA & pH first. Then add CYA and start shocking at the same time.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!