Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low pH; high TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Low pH; high TA

Hi All,

This is Day 2 of trying to adjust the pool balance; yesterday I added stabilizer so that I could get the chlorine at a good, more or less stable level. Thankfully, this morning, FC was at 3.5 and CYA at 38. But my concern now is a combination of low pH and high TA. Here are the numbers:

FC: 3.5
    CC: .5
    TC: 3
    pH: 7.0
    TA: 175
    CH: 230
    CYA: 38
    Temp: 78F

I've read on Pool School about aeration, but it also seems to suggest that with a high TA, the pH level will also tend to rise (on its own?). Can anyone suggest a good way to get the pH up to norm, and the TA down?

11,500 gal. rectangular cement, 11 x 28 (built c1930); Hayward S180T sand filter; Hayward Max-Flo II 3/4 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Low pH; high TA

Aerate. Get in and splash around, aim the returns toward the surface, or install a return fountain. Or just wait.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Low pH; high TA

pH will rise on its own; aeration will speed up that process. Your TA isn't too bad, so if your pH doesn't rise annoyingly fast, you may be happy just adding acid whenever it gets high; TA will gradually go down this way.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden