Finally doing it myself

jrfly42

Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2010
Ripon, CA
So after 12 years of always having a service do our pool we have decided to do it ourselves and thankfully I found tfp. I just got my TF100 yesterday and here are the results:
FC 10
CC 0
TC 7.5
pH 7.5
TA 330
CH 1170
CYA >100

Scaling is definitely a problem with the water in our area. This weekend I am going to test the tap water. Looks like I will be draining soon :( mainly to lower the cya. Not sure I have any hope of lowering the CH without another source of water.

I have been reading this site for about a week now and I want to thank you for all of your sound advice.

Welcome to TFP.

You sound like a candidate for Reverse Osmosis water filtering. This service is provided in the Southwestern US where calcium is a significant problem. I'll PM you with a vendor that might be able to help you.

also...there is something funky going on with your chlorine results...how did you arrive at a TC of 7.5 with FC at 10? Just making sure you are testing right :goodjob:

From the looks of those numbers, the pool service wasn't doing you any favors :shock:

Good job finding this place! Once you get your water back where it should be you will love the help and advice here that will allow you to keep it looking great!

Have you owned the pool for all 12 years, and has it ever been drained?

Yes we have owned the pool all 12 years and it has never been drained. Would something like what you offer (if available in our area - central california between modesto and stockton) be of benefit to us?

If you have R/O in your area, it would definitely be a great option. Do you have an idea what your TDS level is? How about your feed water levels?

Your CH level is probably one of the highest I have seen (we just completed a Jr. Olympic pool that had TDS of 11,700, and the CH was "only" 640!), and your CYA is probably much higher than what you are able to read (I see the > symbol, so I know that is a redundant statement!), and R/O will remove both of those.

12 years, at least down south of you, is a very long time to keep water. We have, prior to utilizing R/O, always recommended a drain and refill every 2-3 years to maintain acceptable water conditions. Hard water is definitely a nemesis of the pool industry!

You are definitely on the right track by being on the 'page! Keep asking questions and you will have your pool looking sharp in no time!

simicrintz said:
If you have R/O in your area, it would definitely be a great option. Do you have an idea what your TDS level is? How about your feed water levels?

Your CH level is probably one of the highest I have seen (we just completed a Jr. Olympic pool that had TDS of 11,700, and the CH was "only" 640!), and your CYA is probably much higher than what you are able to read (I see the > symbol, so I know that is a redundant statement!), and R/O will remove both of those.

12 years, at least down south of you, is a very long time to keep water. We have, prior to utilizing R/O, always recommended a drain and refill every 2-3 years to maintain acceptable water conditions. Hard water is definitely a nemesis of the pool industry!

Wow I didn't realize that. I don't know what my TDS level is. Thanks for the tips. Nothing pops up in my cursory search for R/O in my area. In the mean time it looks like I will be maintaining high fc levels - i guess its lots of reagents ;)

The good and the bad of R/O is that it is not widely available (yet). It works, and it saves water and gives back a better product than the water company can often provide. It is just more common to dump water and refill, as that is what the industry has been doing for years. A lot of people, like you, were never told they needed to watch these levels, so they did not know. It is only once you find this page that you can start to understand why these all interact, and really take control of your pool. You are seeing that first hand :goodjob:

Did you plug all of your numbers in to the Pool Calculator yet? That will help you with where you need to be with your FC to try and keep you clean!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.