newbie from VA

vapool

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Just thought I'd introduce myself after lurking for a while. Just signed a contract last week on an inground gunite freeform; 38'x18' with 9' deep end and diving board. SWG, heat pump, flagstone coping and broomfinish concrete deck (at least until we SunDek it), either a sheer arc coming out of the coping or a waterfall, depending on whether we hit budget-breaking rock on excavation (not unlikely here in the Piedmont!). 3M cayman green/caribbean blue blend finish with NPT Aztec cobalt tile. Just waiting for the permits then hopefully the dig will start soon! Anyway, have been learning a lot and am sure I'll have lots of ?? in the upcoming months.

vapool said:
. . . depending on whether we hit budget-breaking rock on excavation

This made me giggle. Not funny, I know. We ran into such a boulder and had to relocate the pool several yards to the North and a few feet to the East. Removing that rock would have completely wrecked the yard. Maybe I could have fixed that but then the PB scratched his head and muttered, "I dunno. If we move it it might could cause that hill to slide down." We left the rock.

Your pool plan sounds gorgeous, can't wait for photos. Welcome to TFP!

Anna

Thanks for the welcome...I have the camera ready for when they start digging, and the webpage for ordering the TF test kit bookmarked. Is there an expiration date for the kit, BTW? If not, I'll order now while I still have cash in my wallet!

Nope, no expiration date. I try to keep very fresh chemistry on hand. I have been using some of the same chemistry for four years in my own kit but that's probably a bit of a stretch. Keeping the kit indoors is the secret to good chemistry life.

Sometime this winter, I will offer an entire chemistry replacement pak that will replace all chemistry in the kit and save some money. I suspect most folks will probably just order refills on an as needed basis, however.

Well, just got a call from my PB...permit's been approved (quickest approval they can remember...boy, construction market must REALLY be in the dumps) and they're coming out Monday for prebuild meeting, then excavation starts Tuesday! Will be sure to post pix asap...and lots of questions to come, I'm sure!