Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie from VA

1. Back To Top    #1

newbie from VA

Just thought I'd introduce myself after lurking for a while. Just signed a contract last week on an inground gunite freeform; 38'x18' with 9' deep end and diving board. SWG, heat pump, flagstone coping and broomfinish concrete deck (at least until we SunDek it), either a sheer arc coming out of the coping or a waterfall, depending on whether we hit budget-breaking rock on excavation (not unlikely here in the Piedmont!). 3M cayman green/caribbean blue blend finish with NPT Aztec cobalt tile. Just waiting for the permits then hopefully the dig will start soon! Anyway, have been learning a lot and am sure I'll have lots of ?? in the upcoming months.
    inground gunite, 18x38 freeform, 3'-9' w/ diving; 3M caymen green/blue blend; Pentair 2HP whisperflo; + aux pump for water feature; SWG; Rheem heat pump; Polaris 380; Pentair TR 100 sand filter; silverlake flagstone coping/broom finish concrete deck; NPTG Aztec cobalt tile; 18" bond beam wall with water feature

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

be sure to post photos of your build, so we can see things as they progress!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi and welcome to the group!

The very most important thing that absolutely must be done for any pool build is to take pics to share with us!
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Welcome,
    You will want to get a good test kit as you get near completion. Something like the in The Mermaid Queen's signature above.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: newbie from VA

Quote Originally Posted by vapool
    . . . depending on whether we hit budget-breaking rock on excavation
    This made me giggle. Not funny, I know. We ran into such a boulder and had to relocate the pool several yards to the North and a few feet to the East. Removing that rock would have completely wrecked the yard. Maybe I could have fixed that but then the PB scratched his head and muttered, "I dunno. If we move it it might could cause that hill to slide down." We left the rock.

Your pool plan sounds gorgeous, can't wait for photos. Welcome to TFP!

Anna
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Thanks for the welcome...I have the camera ready for when they start digging, and the webpage for ordering the TF test kit bookmarked. Is there an expiration date for the kit, BTW? If not, I'll order now while I still have cash in my wallet!
    inground gunite, 18x38 freeform, 3'-9' w/ diving; 3M caymen green/blue blend; Pentair 2HP whisperflo; + aux pump for water feature; SWG; Rheem heat pump; Polaris 380; Pentair TR 100 sand filter; silverlake flagstone coping/broom finish concrete deck; NPTG Aztec cobalt tile; 18" bond beam wall with water feature

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Nope, no expiration date. I try to keep very fresh chemistry on hand. I have been using some of the same chemistry for four years in my own kit but that's probably a bit of a stretch. Keeping the kit indoors is the secret to good chemistry life.

Sometime this winter, I will offer an entire chemistry replacement pak that will replace all chemistry in the kit and save some money. I suspect most folks will probably just order refills on an as needed basis, however.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8
    Well, just got a call from my PB...permit's been approved (quickest approval they can remember...boy, construction market must REALLY be in the dumps) and they're coming out Monday for prebuild meeting, then excavation starts Tuesday! Will be sure to post pix asap...and lots of questions to come, I'm sure!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Congrats! Can't wait to see your dream come to life!
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits