Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sunheater s601 questions

1. Back To Top    #1

sunheater s601 questions

Im thinking about installing some Sunheaters in our inground pool and am trying to find out a couple of things.

Is there a maximum number of collectors that you can have plumbed together?
    Could you have them on a rack that had them working vertically, instead of horizontally? I am trying to get away with only having to build one rack.

Sand Filter
    Above Ground, Vinyl
    1.5 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: sunheater s601 questions

Usually there is a limit due to flow issues, but it will vary by manufacturer.

I don't think most panels are suited for a vertical mount. The weight of the water would put a strain on the panels, and the vertical installation wouldn't be as efficient as a more horizontal installation due to the low solar gain in the middle of the day.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

New Brunswick Canada

Re: sunheater s601 questions

I have 3 - 4'x20' panels plumbed inline on a sun room roof. Works amazing, and you have to love the free heat.

I can get a 10 degree gain on a nice sunny day.

If I made modifications, I would build a rack system, that can be moved as the angle of the sun changes as the months roll on.

April, I can swim easy when the sun comes out for two days, this april, pool went from 64 degree's on a Tuesday, to 81 wednesday night. I think that is due to the angle of the sun in early summer, in the fall, I don't get very much increase as I believe the suns rays are deflecting off my panels and not truly being absorbed. If I could crank the angle up, then I would be ok.