installing a "used AGP"

lbaia

Jun 28, 2010
We are in the process of installing a previously used 18' x 38' doughboy pool with 7' deep end. We have decided to install it 1 foot into the ground. The excavating is almost complete but have some worries about the liner installation. Some people have told us that we should be able to line up the skimmer and filter holes no problem but others have suggested patching the holes and installing new ones. Any opinions out there, or are we just crazy for trying? The liner is supposed to be in excellent condition and was stored properly immediately after pool was taken down. Also, does anyone know if there is somewhere to get Happy Bottom or Gorilla Pads in BC, Canada?

I don't think there is anyway you'll get the holes to line up. I don't think you could do it if you hadn't moved the pool, much less with a different installation. I'd plan to patch the holes and rotate the liner 180 degrees so you have new vinyl for your cuts. If the liner is very old, you may find it difficult to install at all.

I am in agreement and would add that even though stored the integrity of a vinyl liner for re-use is highly questionable after it had been drained. They shrink and tend to get brittle after being used and drained, even if stored. Lining up skimmer and return holes properly is nearly impossible because when brand new they are stretched in with the original water fill before cutting in. Even if you can get it in again and cut new skimmer/return holes, you are at so much greater risk of liner failure. Do you really want to go to all the work of liner installation way sooner, maybe even right away? IMHO you should order a new liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.