Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Results

I have a 21,000 AGP. Using the Taylor K-2006 testing kit, my tests results are as follows:

FC= 0.5
    CC= 0.0
    TA=60
    PH=7.7
    CH=50
    CYA= doesn't register yet, I added 3 lbs. of granular stabilizer last week and have used 3 tablets of tri-clor.

My question is, should I raise the TA up a little using baking soda or will this raise my PH to unacceptable levels? Since I have a vinyl liner, is my CH levels okay?

Also, how long does it take for CYA to show up in the tests? I have already ran out of CYA reagent. (just ordered more).

I have several more tri-clor tablets. Should I use these until my CYA in up to around 40 or should I just use bleach?

Thanks for your input. Really great site.

Mark.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Results

Looks like you have a plan which is good

Baking soda has negligible immediate effect on pH, but the higher your TA is the faster pH will tend to drift up. If you do raise TA, shoot for the low end of the recommended range (70).

You can use the trichlor now, or save it for vacations.

Most importantly, your FC is low. You should assume that all the CYA you added (~25) is already there so your FC range is 2-6.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

To emphasize svenpup's very good advice...

Most importantly, your FC is low. You should assume that all the CYA you added (~25) is already there so your FC range is 2-6.
    Amen!

How does your water look?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    To emphasize svenpup's very good advice...

Amen!

How does your water look?
    Water looks great. Crystal clear.

I just added 2 trichlor tabs in the skimmer basket, 3 lbs. of baking soda and about 4 ozs. of polyquat 60 algaecide.

5. Back To Top    #5

Why the algaecide? If you maintain FC levels in the target band, there is no need for algaecide. Particularly with crystal clear water. That is the beauty of the BBB system.
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by NCFlyersFan
    Why the algaecide? If you maintain FC levels in the target band, there is no need for algaecide. Particularly with crystal clear water. That is the beauty of the BBB system.
    I'm afraid with my chlorine levels dropping so low at the end of each day (hot a sunny here almost every day) that algae may start to develop. I just installed my pool last week and I am new to pool care and I am a little nervous. I have a bottle of polyquat 60 that the pool man gave me when I bought my pool so I thought it couldn't hurt to use a little of it. Agree?

7. Back To Top    #7

Some people do use polyquat as "insurance". It costs a little extra, but if it helps you feel more comfortable then go for it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School